Vocals in time

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Psychoactive_Music

Vocals in time

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Hey Guys Ive recently uploaded a remix for a competition. I uploaded it last night and today I got some comments. At first I was thrilled that someone actually listened to my track.but then I read them and Basically the comments are that the vocals are out of time. :oops: To me they sound ok. Which is why I'm confused. :oops: I think maybe ive heard it so many times over and over while making the track, that it seems to me that it works but only because im used to it

If anyone can spare me their fresh ears for a few minutes,have a listern and let me know whether you think its in time, and if you have some advice on how to get the vocals fitting better ( warping?)or any fundamentals regarding fitting the vocal with the music I would be really grateful. Its my second time ever playing with vocals, and the first time didnt go well either. I prefer to make instrumentals myself.

Essentially I made all the music myself in 140bpm and tried to add the 88bpm vocals to it
which is something ive only realised retrospectively but I dont know any of the repercussions of attempting such a thing

Ive learnt that I dont have an ear for rap, its not something I really know.

For the vocal in the chorus I chopped it and spaced it out a bit which was my attempt at making it fit with my music but I dont know if this worked either?

This is why I need your fresh ears

The Bpm of my version is 140 (if that helps?)
And the Bpm of original is 88 (which I only know now in hindsight)

If I win I'll split the money ;)

.......(I'm not going to win :P )

the link : http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunitie ... ons/120382

markhunter

Re: Vocals in time

Post by markhunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:36 pm

I agree with comments, you do have timing issues... at least to me (music is subjective!).

Here's as idea (not meant to be patronising)...

Can you tap your foot, click fingers, clap hands along to the the tempo of the song?
Or... can you add a strong metronome or snare on first beat, whatever, to reinforce the rhythm/timing?

Would you sing it differently if there was only that guide i.e. no other sounds, just the click (slap on desk, kick the radiator, whatever)?

I sometimes put a thump/clap (kick/snare) track right through some of my less 'beaty' songs to keep them together, and remove from mix later.

Good luck.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I think maybe ive heard it so many times over and over while making the track, that it seems to me that it works but only because im used to it
that. step back for a day..hiphop tempo > dubstep tempo is a bitch

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Do you think the timing issues are just with the vocal or do you think they are present in the music too?

Maybe the synth filter sweeps are are little out too.

Would you suggest warping? I tried it but I didnt like the sound.It sounds kind of wobbly or like stutters ,but I could be doing it wrong

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:42 pm

to my ears, the guy's vocal is a bit fast for the track, which isn't such a problem until it goes on for more than a couple of bars, which makes the polyrhythm get too mashed.. plus there's no tieing together of the different speeds.. no conclusion or resolution, so the tension between them never gets to make its point. I would probably have chopped the rap up more, so its more synced with key parts of the rhythm track. You could get into some sort of wormhole of warping, but I dunno if I would- its good to have some syncopated danger innit. the woman's voice, because its more obviously sung is more of a problem, could be slowed down a bit, maybe chopped and synced to the rhythm track a bit more, maybe the pitch could get bentdown a bit.. the combination of the synths and the singing is a little bit microtonal, like somewhere, something is 0.75 or 0.3 of a tone out of tune, like with the timing issue with the rapping, I would address this by chopping the singing into fragments synced with kicks etc.. maybe tune some bits.

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 pm

oddstep wrote:to my ears, the guy's vocal is a bit fast for the track, which isn't such a problem until it goes on for more than a couple of bars, which makes the polyrhythm get too mashed.. plus there's no tieing together of the different speeds.. no conclusion or resolution, so the tension between them never gets to make its point. I would probably have chopped the rap up more, so its more synced with key parts of the rhythm track. You could get into some sort of wormhole of warping, but I dunno if I would- its good to have some syncopated danger innit. the woman's voice, because its more obviously sung is more of a problem, could be slowed down a bit, maybe chopped and synced to the rhythm track a bit more, maybe the pitch could get bentdown a bit.. the combination of the synths and the singing is a little bit microtonal, like somewhere, something is 0.75 or 0.3 of a tone out of tune, like with the timing issue with the rapping, I would address this by chopping the singing into fragments synced with kicks etc.. maybe tune some bits.
Thats a great post man. thanks for taking the time to listen. I'll try what you said and I'll give the vocals the attention they deserve . I like to make instrumentals but ive always liked the idea of working with vocals. so maybe I didnt put enough thought into the vocal and just whacked them ontop and did a little editing to make me feel like i'd at least done something. Its kind of the point of the remix really, the vocal, as the only original part of the track I used I should at least get them in time lol why am I only realising this now? Editing the vocal seemed like a chore, but thats probably because I didnt know what I was doing.