Live users with disabilities and injuries

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hermanus

Re: Live users with disabilities and injuries

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 am

man this is not funny.

Imagine if someone injured for real read your message?
edit your post or better delete this disrepectful s##t

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:38 am

fuck man, if you really suffer from all those afflictions then step away from the computer. seriously.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Hermanus wrote:man this is not funny.

Imagine if someone injured for real read your message?
edit your post or better delete this disrepectful s##t
Speaking of disabilities, did (can) you actually read his post? It's quite obvious he was making a serious inquiry. :roll:
Unsound Designer

stansharpe

Post by stansharpe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Personally where I live I don't really know many other live users at all, let alone ones that need to deal with shit in order to sit down at the computer!!! If it makes you happy and takes your mind of fit a bit more power to ya. Big respect!

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I can appreciate your intention to have a dialogue with like minded folks. The 'like minded' bit is probably the key here as this sort of discussion is not really about Live, more about your personal struggles which sound fairly unique, and Live users being a community you are somewhat invested in. Its probably the personal nature expressed in public that creates a sense of unease in some readers. Whats a person to do though if you don't have a 'in person' tangible network of people who can empathize? Pretty bold of you to open up.

I do not have a disability created by injury like my father in law, T4 spinal injury and subsequent paralysis below the waste, but I do suffer badly by something which is essentially an overuse injury in my arms. As a musician and educator, its quite the dilemma. I do though take a shit load of courage from my FIL as his ability to create positives out of his unfortunate situation is very inspiring. He is a very good guitar player with 50 or so years of experience. Last time he was here we spent several days recording cool songs from 'his day,' mainly for my wife.

Sounds like a good idea to have your site as a point of focus. Creating reasons to do positive things either out of spontaneity or routine is a great coping strategy. Cheers.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I actually got into Live because of grievous injury. Got hit by a speeding car while crossing the street, broke my tibia/fibia in 4 places, fractured my right shoulderblade, 4 of my vertebrae, and 3 ribs, was in wheelchair/on crutches/using a cane, for about 8 months, and courtesy of an insurance settlement, was able to pick up some stuff to put together a little music corner in my apartment. Now I'm all better, and constantly distracted by other things, and hardly ever get anything done musically. Curse this good health!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Good luck with all that funken. If ya haven;t looked already, medicinal foods and veg juicing can offer a lot relief for most problems.

Really sorry to hear Leadsquietman had passed. I liked that dude a lot.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:03 pm

knotkranky wrote:Good luck with all that funken. If ya haven;t looked already, medicinal foods and veg juicing can offer a lot relief for most problems.

yep, the right diet and exercise will really help, e.g. swimming, yoga, tai chi. you gotta get your body moving again in good ways, build strength and flexibility again.

gotta slip yourself out of the pain stress downward spiral.

@knotkranky: the main thread about Leeds passing is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156200

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:49 am

fishmonkey wrote:
knotkranky wrote:Good luck with all that funken. If ya haven;t looked already, medicinal foods and veg juicing can offer a lot relief for most problems.

yep, the right diet and exercise will really help, e.g. swimming, yoga, tai chi. you gotta get your body moving again in good ways, build strength and flexibility again.

gotta slip yourself out of the pain stress downward spiral.

@knotkranky: the main thread about Leeds passing is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156200
Thanx fishmonkey, I had a look but will let it lay. Too old to bump but a sweet thread to Leads. rip.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 am

btw, I had wrist probs that were really early carpal tunnel probs. I put the track ball on the left for about a year and got completely efficient on the left. Now I have track balls on left and right and I automatically switch between the two. It's taken quite a load off each wrist in total. I also had one of them connected to the arm of my chair for a while. I need to reconnect it. It was wonderfully comfy to use.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:31 am

Hey funken. I just thought you never slept.

Now I know why you are always on the computer.

Best of luck with managing your health issues.

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:10 am

Do ALL the following and you will be a new person. I have no medical qualifications. Just personal experience. It's the result of a lot of research and a long experimental journey. Trust me.

Get rid of the trackpad. They're great re interactivity but they're a f#@kin ergonomic disaster. A regular mouse isn't much better. In fact they're a cruel joke that's a cause of pain for thousands of people. They put your arms in constant tension. Understand why here:
http://www.evoluent.com/vmouse2.html

Don't buy an Evoluent Mouse though. They still make you tense up. I've tried one. They suck. Get one of these instead. I have the corded version. Had it for 7 years.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... omicmouse/
I've heard build quality sucks on this one but think I'll get it next because it looks to be the best design.
http://www.ergoexpress.com/zerotensionmouse.aspx

Buy this. However, the postural change will likely be a massive shock to your body so you need break yourself in slowly e.g. couple hours at a time over six months.
http://www.salli.com/langSelection/

Buy several of these. Use them everyday. Put them everywhere e.g. in the car. The bands don't last too long though (which sucks but they're still worth it) so buy spares.
http://www.handmasterplus.com/index.html

Use this (religiously).
http://www.dejal.com/timeout/

Buy this for dictation. Avoid ALL unnecessary typing.
http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/b ... /index.htm

Study one/both of these and apply it to your life. Lots of books on the net.
http://www.alexandertechnique.com/
http://www.feldenkrais.org.au/

Find a practitioner who does this. Particularly for your arms. After you see them for a while you can teach a friend/girlfriend to do it. It's not hard to do.
http://www.activerelease.com/

Stretch (gently) and most importantly do weights, LOTS of weights, but do them properly and get plenty of rest. Join a gym if you need to learn.

Don't do static yoga poses. Yoga's awesome but there are better things you can be doing. Pilates tends to be more effective for rehabilitation. I was getting results with Tai Chi but I didn't stick with it because it was hard to get to class. Swimming's great but if you don't have much time in your life choose the weights first.

Get as much sleep as your body needs (no late nights + alarm clocks). If you don't you will NOT heal.

Breathe. Sounds stupid/obvious right? Don't overlook it. Put a sticky note on your monitor. Deep breathing is often the first thing to stop when you're concentrating at the computer. Hypoxia is pretty much THE cause of soft tissue injury.

Never get surgery for repetitive injuries. Surgeons will say you should because that's what they do for a living.

Do this. It's not new agey cr*p. These guys know what they're doing. The mind is a powerful thing.
http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Heal-You ... uctdetails

Good luck! :)
MBP 2.3GHz QCore i7 4GB | Ultralite mk3 | 10.7.4 | Logic Pro 9.1.6

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 am

funken wrote:Any disabled or semi-disabled Live users on here?
in one way or another yes.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:56 am

funken wrote:Unfortunately I'm finding that stress kills mood for making tunes for me...
I have found that this is true for me as well. Prolonged periods of stress are unproductive times for me.

:(

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 am

oblique strategies wrote:
funken wrote:Unfortunately I'm finding that stress kills mood for making tunes for me...
I have found that this is true for me as well. Prolonged periods of stress are unproductive times for me.

:(
+1

actually I find when I am really not getting inspired, i have more luck playing a 'real' instrument, or writing lyrics, or even singing into a portable recorder - it removes the sedentary weird energy suck of the computer from the picture, which can be 90% of the problem these days when computers are virtually prosthetic limbs