iPad out

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dburns

Re: iPad out

Post by dburns » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 am

Your cable looks fine.

Is there a software mixer as part of the Saffire installation? If so, crank up the gain (or trim) on the inputs from the iPad.

You can also try putting a limiter in your audio track in Live to boost the input signal from the iPad. That will boost your iPad volume, but isn't a great idea because it will boost any noise too.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

dburns

Post by dburns » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:20 am

I checked the Saffire pro 24 dsp webpage. http://us.focusrite.com/firewire-audio- ... ifications

It looks like you need to set channels 3&4 (your iPad inputs) to high gain in the software.

===========

Analogue Channel Inputs (Inputs 1-4)
2 x XLR Mic/Line Neutrik Combi-Jacks (Inputs 1-2)
2 x XLR Instrument Neutrik Combi-Jacks (Instrument on inputs 1 and 2 only) Automatic switch of Mic / Line (inserting a jack switches from Mic to either Line or Instrument (instrument selected via the software control panel)Line inputs 3-4 have low and high gain settings can be controlled from the Saffire MixControl software (low gain being the default)
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

djmela5

Post by djmela5 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 am

will try

djmela5

Post by djmela5 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm

its the same i think i need full stereo jacks

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm

oh, it looks like your interface auto-switches the gain down when you insert a jack rather than an XLR.

try one of these instead:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cae_adapterkab ... klinke.htm

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 am

Okay, let's back up. First, the headphone out on the iPad is perfectly fine for any kind do audio output. You'll get a great level.

Second, WHAT app are you using? Have you cranked the volume within the app?

Third, have you made certain that your volume output on the iPad is cranked all the way up?

Fourth, have you done a normal audio test with the iPad? Play a song from the iPod music app. First, unplug the line out from the headphone jack and make sure you're getting good volume. Then plug the output back into the headphone jack and try it with your sound card.

Fifth, is the input on your sound card working properly? With that cable of yours, when you tap on the 1/8th end are you getting a response?

I can't believe the stereo/mono makes a difference. Again, simply running your fingernail on the end of the jack will INSTANSTLY tell you if your getting a level response that's in the ball park.

:)
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:29 am

agreed, nothing to do with stereo/mono.

and you are quite right, the most likely problem is that the level is turned down somewhere on the iPad. even from the headphone out you should be able to get a decent level signal into a line level input.

bear in mind that the iPad headphone output has an independent level to the speaker output too...

djmela5

Post by djmela5 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Okay, let's back up. First, the headphone out on the iPad is perfectly fine for any kind do audio output. You'll get a great level.

Second, WHAT app are you using? Have you cranked the volume within the app?

Dubfire apps - iMaschine

Third, have you made certain that your volume output on the iPad is cranked all the way up?

Yes

Fourth, have you done a normal audio test with the iPad? Play a song from the iPod music app. First, unplug the line out from the headphone jack and make sure you're getting good volume. Then plug the output back into the headphone jack and try it with your sound card.

you mean to test the ipad to soundcard directly without Ableton yes?

Fifth, is the input on your sound card working properly? With that cable of yours, when you tap on the 1/8th end are you getting a response?

I can't believe the stereo/mono makes a difference. Again, simply running your fingernail on the end of the jack will INSTANSTLY tell you if your getting a level response that's in the ball park.

:)

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:46 am

The Focusrite 24 DSP has an internal loopback recording feature. Maybe you can use that to boost your signal or figure out some other way to capture the sound?

From the Key Features tab:

Total I/O count of 16 inputs and 8 outputs
A host of I/O options are provided, including a unique 'loopback' facility for routing audio between software applications via Saffire MixControl.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes