Novation impulse and Live 8 -> not a rant , help needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinaiz

Novation impulse and Live 8 -> not a rant , help needed

Post by dinaiz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm new to the impulse and there are two, quite major things I can't achieve (Using Live 8.2.8 )

- I want to map the faders to plugins, the same way encoders work . In the automap softare,
I can edit the mappings for the encoders, but if I click on the faders, on the picture, I have the following message :

Code: Select all

The impulse faders area in MIDI/Ableton mode
No software connected. Please run software setup.
Is there another mode for the faders, besides MIDI and mixer ?
I know I still can use midi mode for the faders, and use the normal Ableton midi learn procedure (select plugin, click configure, move control, then click on ableton's MIDI button and map the fader) but I expected an improvement thanks to the almighty automap. Or at least be able to use the impulse 's "learn" button. Both things work with encoders but not with the faders. Am I missing something ?

- I've seen on a lot of videos the cool, semi-transparent Automap overlay which indicates what control is mapped to what function. However, I don't have this on my system. Instead, if I move an encoder, I have a notification fo the parameter I'm being changing. That's nice but there's no way to get a more global overview of the current page. Besides, on the impulse, when you change pages, the current page number ins't even displayed ! So most of the time, I have no idea what parameter is behind a given encoder until I turn it.

Any ideas ?

Eddie Focusrite

Re: Novation impulse and Live 8 -> not a rant , help needed

Post by Eddie Focusrite » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi dinalz,

You're absolutely right, to use the faders to control the mixer you need to be in mixer mode on your Impulse. In order to control plugins using the faders you will have to use the MIDI learn function as you suggested.

I hope this helps,

Eddie Judd // Technical Support Engineer

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited Windsor House, Turnpike Road, High Wycombe HP12 3FX, United Kingdom

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 am

It does help, although it's a pitty that the faders can't work like the encoders but I'll have to live with it I guess. About the second point, is there no way to have this as well ?

Eddie Focusrite

Post by Eddie Focusrite » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi dinaiz,

Do you have a link to any of these videos? I'd like to see what you mean so I can best advise.

Kind regards

DDI: +44 1494 836 316 | Skype: eddie.judd.focusrite

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited
Windsor House, Turnpike Road, High Wycombe HP12 3FX, United Kingdom

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Cheers Eddie !

I'm taalking about this interface :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J4C8#t=56s

However, I might be mistaken and maybe it's only a Nocturn thing and not related to the other controllers, like Impulse, SL MK II series, etc ...

Also, I'm wondering if the SL MK II suffer from the same limitations regarding faders.

Eddie Focusrite

Post by Eddie Focusrite » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi dinalz,

The window transparency option is no longer available in Automap 4, instead the alerts inform you of updates etc...

With the SL Mk II you can create a custom mapping however it will again require the MIDI learn function and a user map.

I hope this helps.

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited Windsor House, Turnpike Road, High Wycombe HP12 3FX, United Kingdom