Any tips for getting back to making music after a break?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spackled Bat

Any tips for getting back to making music after a break?

Post by Spackled Bat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Hey there. I used to come to these forums all the time a few years back but kind of stopped using Ableton for a variety of reasons. I have been playing a lot of guitar and bass but due to lack of time and other issues I stopped recording a couple years ago. I think I also got a little discouraged from lack of feedback from others and just feeling like I was making music in a vacuum.

Anyway, I have been missing production lately and due to a change in my job I may have some more time to get back into music. I also just got a new computer, a Macbook Pro with a 2.5 GHz Core i5 and 4 GB of RAM. I'm still using Live 7 as I never made the switch to 8. A lot of my tracks kind of depended on how Live 7 handled time stretching and I seem to remeber that 8 changed how that works. So does anyone have any advice about how to get back into it after a long break? Any issues that I may run into that I should look out for? Any helpful feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cymatic Kicks

Re: Any tips for getting back to making music after a break?

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Just simply dive right in. Maybe include your bass and guitar into Ableton? It's fun to do live looping with electronic music as well.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Spackled Bat wrote:Hey there. I used to come to these forums all the time a few years back but kind of stopped using Ableton for a variety of reasons. I have been playing a lot of guitar and bass but due to lack of time and other issues I stopped recording a couple years ago. I think I also got a little discouraged from lack of feedback from others and just feeling like I was making music in a vacuum.

Anyway, I have been missing production lately and due to a change in my job I may have some more time to get back into music. I also just got a new computer, a Macbook Pro with a 2.5 GHz Core i5 and 4 GB of RAM. I'm still using Live 7 as I never made the switch to 8. A lot of my tracks kind of depended on how Live 7 handled time stretching and I seem to remeber that 8 changed how that works. So does anyone have any advice about how to get back into it after a long break? Any issues that I may run into that I should look out for? Any helpful feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Get a job.....

Spackled Bat

Post by Spackled Bat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:
Get a job.....
Ahhhh, I see the forum is still as helpful as ever. Thanks buddy, I'll give that a try.

Thanks C. Kicks. Guess I should just fire it up and see what comes back to me.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Spackled Bat wrote:
Rinsemeister wrote:
Get a job.....
Ahhhh, I see the forum is still as helpful as ever. Thanks buddy, I'll give that a try.

Thanks C. Kicks. Guess I should just fire it up and see what comes back to me.
Sorry geezer but what can one say.........?

Fire it up and rip the arse out of it.....

That's kinda what I do.......

Specifics.........?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm

+1 for dive right in!

if you update to Live 8 you will have to convert your Live 7 projects, but Live will handle that for you when you open them. Live 8 will change the library so if you switch I would suggest taking the Live 7 library and either moving it, or changing the name slightly so that you don't blow it out of equation (just in case). doing a "Collect All & Save" from the File menu in 7 on all your old projects would be a good extra step to take.

you're playing guitar and bass, that implies that you're not making EDM. tell me more... what kind of muzak are you trying to put together?

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm

just start, then...continue

collab with someone

make mad beats and jam along

hard for someone else to answer this for you...find what gets you psyched and do that

Spackled Bat

Post by Spackled Bat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if there was anything that stood out as being an issue after being gone for so long and starting back up with a new computer. I appreciate the feedback. Once I get into it I guess I'll see if I have more specific issues.

@ H20nly - I wouldn't say I make EDM but I was making mostly electronic based music. I mostly sampled/modified guitar sounds in the past. The four tunes that I liked the most from my last batch of tracks are on my old soundcloud account.

http://soundcloud.com/spackledbat

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

jeezus ikmultimedia, really?

admiralsnackbar

Post by admiralsnackbar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 am

If a lack of feedback derailed you last time, learn from your mistake and make things social for yourself. Go see some local shows and make some friends to to play with. You might also offer to record someone who's just starting out and doesn't know shit -- sometimes just going through the motions of recording *someone else* can inspire you to get back to work, and even if it fails, you helped someone out.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:33 am

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 am

It's true, you just have to do it.

I was out the game for a few years to finish my Master's. Now I'm done and back in the mix with some new toys and a fresh approach.

Ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 am

Rhythms. Simple and complex. Make them out of whatever noises. Then jam over them.

I don't usually like telling people how to do things haha. But I think you can have a lot of fun re-evaluating the basic concepts of rhythms and the potential complexities. The fun part can be using lovely guitar noises to create them. I think I tend to start with chord progressions and basslines though..... and it always feels stale for me haha

invol

Post by invol » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 am

After I've been away from producing my own stuff (usually due to working on other people's projects or teaching...), I make a list of music that has been inspiring me lately, then I mess around with ideas in that area and see what comes up. Then I just go from there.... The most important aspect is that you enjoy it and are having fun.

Spackled Bat

Post by Spackled Bat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:57 am

Adonis and knotkranky, those names take me back. Nice to see some familiar faces around here. I suppose the most important thing is just getting to it and see what happens. That is what I did the first time and it worked out pretty well. I just need to get me some award winning products and I will be off and running. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.