does Live8 "collect all samples and save" automatically?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
flowdesigner

does Live8 "collect all samples and save" automatically?

Post by flowdesigner » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:28 am

or do I need to to it manually each time?

Wbowers

Re: does Live8 "collect all samples and save" automatically?

Post by Wbowers » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 am

Manually just once, unless you add something else from somewhere else. Then you will need to do it again.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 pm

there are options in the prefs that let you collect files auto. by default..(bottom of 'file-folder' tab)
I do it manually.. just to be on the safe side.
(and maybe becuase I'm traumatized by not remembering to 'collect' a few times..
from back when this option wasn't available..)

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 pm

3dot... wrote: (and maybe becuase I'm traumatized by not remembering to 'collect' a few times..
I have an old computer referencing everything from everywhere, and then I FUCKED IT ALL UP !! (:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
3dot... wrote: (and maybe becuase I'm traumatized by not remembering to 'collect' a few times..
I have an old computer referencing everything from everywhere

..and then I got high
fixed.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 pm

:lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:31 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
I have an old computer referencing everything from everywhere, and then I FUCKED IT ALL UP !! (:

tell me more...

i am in the process of restoring files from an old hard drive crash. there are some tricks that you can do with drive letters and such. if you need some help i might have an idea or two to share. Windows??

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm

yeah, windows. ITs an old tower pc with loads of harddisks.
I have not run the pc since Live 6, but it got 2 years of work that is "missing samples".

I will try to run the pc in a couple of days to see what happens.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:42 pm

I found a lot of my missing samples..oddly enough in the Live Library\samples\recorded and \processed folders..

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 pm

I’ve cloned my drive for a new computer more times than I care to recount. In theory this should make the transition seamless without any issues but without fail some Live sets get fucked up – can’t find audio for tracks, samples, or load the proper plugin preset. It’s not every set and it’s not every track. It’s not even the same plugin every time.

I’ve largely seen this as a sign I don’t need to revisit that track and I should move forward on something else.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 pm

a lot of the samples in tracks are in temp file directories unless you do a Collect All and Save. the other problem is the path itself.

i believe this is the issue:
flowdesigner wrote:yeah, windows. ITs an old tower pc with loads of harddisks
when you crated the "song" lets say it was stored on drive M:\ if you then move the folder/hard drive etc then the set is trying to reference files that are either elsewhere or that it is led to believe are elsewhere... because of the paths.

example: your Live set is on M:\ originally. that drive crashes. you install a new drive which is assigned (either by you or automatically) the drive letter N:\
now when your set looks for the files based on the paths stored in the .als it is looking for files at M:\foldername\foldername\filename but it SHOULD be looking at N:\foldername\foldername\filename if it actually wants to find something.

the way around this is to find out what files are missing first... BUT look closely, not just at the file name, but the file path as in my example above. if the drive letter is wrong then you're fucked... you have to re-build manually.
on the other hand, if you take the drive where the music is stored and change the hard drive letter to the one that the .als is looking for... then there is a much better chance that Live will find it right away... no missing files dialogue etc.

the trick is to make the .als file and Live "believe" they are in the same location as when the file was last saved.

i hope this is making sense. ask questions or PM if i've lost you.