Portable Battery-Powered Busking PA Suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lazos

Portable Battery-Powered Busking PA Suggestions?

Post by Lazos » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm

So, anyone here had any experience with any of the portable battery powered PAs out there? I'm specifically looking at stuff like the Roland BA 330 or the Samson XP40iw to do circle act style busking in large pedestrian mall settings. I'd rather not have to deal with a separate deep cell battery and inverter if possible. It would be great to hear what other people are using.

philipc

Re: Portable Battery-Powered Busking PA Suggestions?

Post by philipc » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

A lot of those little battery powered guitar amps have aux inputs that bypass the amp modelling for playing backing tracks, etc. Can't be beaten for portability, I'm sure.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 am

Roland Micro Cube is really nice and runs for hours on 4 AA batteries. it has a dedicated setting for microphone input and also an aux input that bypasses the preamp so you can sing or play along to tracks from your ipod.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 am

Hey thanks folks,

The little guitar amps are just not loud enough, I'm afraid (for the type of busking I'm talking about). I've been using a Roland Cube Street, but it's only 5 watts and not nearly enough to draw a large circle in a decent sized pedestrian mall. The two I mentioned are around 30-40 watts, and I'm thinking of using two of them (probably the Samson XP40i) to get about 80 watts total.