Touchable(or similar app) vs Launchpad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Touchable vs Launchpad

Poll ended at Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Launchpad
50%
Touchable
50%

Total votes: 8

MegasonicTeenageWarhead

Touchable(or similar app) vs Launchpad

Post by MegasonicTeenageWarhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Hey y'all was just wondering what your opinions are on this subject i have touchable on the iPad but have been keeping an eye on launchpads anyone have any opinions on either?

supamonsta

Re: Touchable(or similar app) vs Launchpad

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:00 pm

you could try a search session on this forum, yes you could.
Will you? Another interesting question. I may make a poll for that :wink:

I love my launchpads, but I didn't try any touchable or ipad alternative, I don't like the feel of it, and I don't trust it. But it's just me.

Make a search, you'll find lots of usefull threads about this precise question

cheers

MegasonicTeenageWarhead

Post by MegasonicTeenageWarhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm

I was waiting for that ha apologies I did actually search the topic but I found a lot of the discussions had gone off topic and was wondering if things had advanced in such a way which would influence the argument such as a touchable update or a new launchpad max program etc I can see where you're coming from though sorry about that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

I think it’s a matter of taste. Any app on the iPad is going to display more useful information, but some people like tactile controllers and feel more confident in them whether it’s the more direct and simple setup or they can feel around without having to look at them.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 pm

I have both...
for launching clips/messing about with midi/emulating monome...it's the LaunchPad all the way.. !
doesn't even compare..

the Ipad is pretty cool on it's own though... and a bunch of cool apps to buy for it.. animoog is fucking awesome..
but the interface has no real feel to it.. everything "feels" the same.. touching/smudging a smooth surface...
and the touch latency is still pretty annoying imo..
I do like it being 'cordless'...and the new interfacing options Lemur offers...
and the other cool apps...
if on the road a lot.. I can see how the Ipad could be better as an 'all-around' controller..
saving space in the bag etc..

but as a dedicated clip launcher ..midi device .. I voted Launchpad.

MegasonicTeenageWarhead

Post by MegasonicTeenageWarhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah there both very good points especially the latency ,ad hoc connection can only get so far! though touchacle might win with labeling of things and specific templates for certain live plugins like eq8. How about in terms of the launchpads integration with m4l and things like its potential as a step sequencer? Not to mention as a pad controller for playing notes?

MegasonicTeenageWarhead

Post by MegasonicTeenageWarhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Sorry yeah you're dead right about the apps I've found ims-20 and animoog particularly great although I've noticed it's somewhat slowed down now on the app front, guess that would be the equivalent of m4l in the argument ha.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 pm

I tend to prefer real buttons, faders...

you can push them hard, bang the shit out of them in indecent live situations... nevermind the dumb dude falling on your setup with his glass of beer... nevermind how hard you hit the pad... and how big or drunk are your fingers... you can allways grab the controller and make some funky stuff... even burn it for real with gasoline at the end of the show, wait, that's cheap plastic standard midi controller, not a pricey sensitive technology gem.... and also safer in the way that it will less attract the robbers....

AND you can feel it under your fingers without the need to LOOK at the controller...

for LIVE situations I think real controllers are best, but the ipad and touch screen stuff could be waaaayyyyy more useful in the studio, as one said just earlier, screen touchs display way more information...

so my point is :

for LIVE => real buttons, cheap midi controllers to bang bang bang
for the studio => touch screens may be über cool

cheers