Echo Indigo DJx, Ableton Live 8 and Lion?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikb

Echo Indigo DJx, Ableton Live 8 and Lion?

Post by mikb » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 pm

I plan to get the 24bit card Echo Indigo DJx http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Expre ... /specs.php to use with Ableton Live 8 on my 2007 Macbook with 6GB running OS X Lion 10.7.4 on its 2.2 GHz "Core 2 Duo" processor (T7500).

Anyone have verified this particular trio: Lion, Ableton Live 8 and the Echo Indigo?

The Ableton Live 8.3.3 demo seems rock solid so far. I'm very impressed with Live so plan to get it and this card. Is it advisable?

mikb

Re: Echo Indigo DJx, Ableton Live 8 and Lion?

Post by mikb » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 pm

mikb wrote: Anyone have verified this particular trio: Lion, Ableton Live 8 and the Echo Indigo?
The Ableton Live 8.3.3 demo seems rock solid so far. I'm very impressed with Live so plan to get it and this card. Is it advisable?
While I've yet to do extensive testing, the answer seem to be two exclusive ones as in:
– No, the Echo Indigo IOx and DJx cards does not work in either* OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X 10.7 Lion in native 64bit mode (on 64bit hardware). As of Ableton Live 8.4 64bit support is needed to fully take advantage of the features.

– Yes! The Echo Indigo IOx and DJx cards does work in either* OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X 10.7 Lion in 32bit mode (on 64bit hardware). Ableton Live as late as 8.3.x works great with these wonderfully sounding cards with a latency of just a little less than 2ms.

What remains for me is deciding if 32bit mode will work for me for all the other stuff I do on my machine which maxes out on 6gb. I'm inclined to think that it will, but I do realize that when I move on to a machine that can address 8gb and more then everything changes, because so far it seems Echo isn't interested in writing 64bit drivers on OS X. Also updating to Mountain Lion is out of the question.

All of which means less sales which in turn mean even less interest from Echo. I'd think that the potential market should be great for such a great audio card as I know many musicians using Macbook Pros, but perhaps Echo are content not supporting new machines and new versions of OS X?

*Actually I couldn't get the card working on Leopard on my Core2duo system either.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.