Modular Synth Beginner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJjoeB

Modular Synth Beginner

Post by DJjoeB » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 am

Ok so i have been producing for a while and i really want to get into analog and modular synth stuff. I want to make my own modular synth (hardware) but i have no idea where to start or where to buy. Another Question is when i do start making one does it go through usb to computer? I hope someone can answer thankyou.
Last edited by DJjoeB on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

login

Re: Modular Synth Beginner

Post by login » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:12 am

Yeach, check a small modular softy like u-he ACE, you will get the idea of how is to work with a modular.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 am

ShelLuser wrote:I'm not going into any discussions regarding hardware vs. software here mind you.
You kicked this^ door wide open when you said this...
ShelLuser wrote:Why focus on (more expensive) hardware when you could also aim at software and basically can reach for the sky ?

Anyways, I strongly recommend asking this OP question here DJjoeB
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/
or more specifically here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13

because you want to get into modular gear for your individual reasons, and here on this forum you will find and equal amount of resistance to your desires.

some reach for the sky with air planes, others with hang gliders, some with mushrooms, it's all relative.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 am

ShelLuser wrote:As clearly stated in my message I merely suggested an alternative, without doing so much as claiming that either option would be better or worse than the other.
you did, I was just teasing you a bit, I should have made that much more clear.
I got much respect for your efforts man, big time.

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 am

like JuanSOLO said; read Muffs religiously for a few weeks. Were you looking to build modules from kits, or buy pre-assembled? Is portability/ form factor a concern? WHat type of sounds are you looking to make?

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm

login wrote:Yeach, check a small modular softy like u-he ACE, you will get the idea of how is to work with a modular.

Good idea, but keep in mind:

-ACE is a semimodular synth -it will work without connecting modules with patch cables

-ACE is still a softsynth: You can store presets, you have polyphony and you can have as much instances of it as your CPU allows. All this won´t be possible with modular hardware.

On the other hand:

-ACE has only a few modules and you can get a good grasp on what even a small (semi-)modular can do.

-Imagine ACE as a Hardware-Synth: Instead of fiddling around with a mouse you have all controls at your hands. That´s the reason why I´m dreaming of a modular hardware synth since I own ACE. I just don´t have the money for one...
DJjoeB wrote: Another Question is when i do start making one does it go through usb to computer?

You´ll need a midi to CV converter-module. They usually work with olschool midi-jacks, but I think Doepfer has one with USB-connetivity, too.