quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trevox

Re: quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Post by trevox » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:
trevox wrote:Similar to you, I am happy they are ensuring the product quality is up to scratch before sending, but they maybe should have paid a little more attention to the folk that funded the development. In the main, people are understanding of the issues and are just pissed off with not knowing what is going on. Given it has been so long since paying for it, the way I am looking at it now is that it will seem like getting a free toy to play with once it actually arrives. And if there is even a hint of them being sent to people buying them on general sale before I get it, I will be pretty pissed off...
I disagree, I think they made their decision in good faith and are definitely paying attention to their backing customers. The units were coming in below spec and they don't feel it's appropriate to sell those since that's not what they promised.

This is just like any other project being delayed. It feels more personal since it was funded through Kickstarter as opposed to a traditional preorder system.

That said, it'd be cool to have the option to get an earlier but possibly lesser unit, although I realize this would damage their brand quite a lot by having questionable units out in the wild.
Not sure we're disagreeing here at all! I'm happy to wait too if it means getting a better product and wouldn't dream of asking for a lesser product quicker! Granted the issues were not in their control, I just don't think they handled communications all that well, that's all. And I don't in any way doubt their integrity or intentions, but when you know that you are at least a month away from receiving the thing and they say on their website that they will be shipping in 4 or 5 weeks to the general public, you have to question it.

They should have given realistic dates in the first place - as others have said, if you think it will be 2 months, say it will take 4. That way if they arrive quicker, great and no-one complains. An update to their own website with a more realistic release date wouldn't go a miss either!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Right. I was starting to get excited thinking mine would arrive in the next month, now the excitement has worn off. I kinda feel like I'll be "meh" when it finally arrives.
ImageImage

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm

trevox wrote:Not sure we're disagreeing here at all! I'm happy to wait too if it means getting a better product and wouldn't dream of asking for a lesser product quicker! Granted the issues were not in their control, I just don't think they handled communications all that well, that's all.
Haha, fair enough - I must've assumed there was more vitriol behind it because I'm too used to the internet. :)

Hopefully we'll get our awesome new controllers soon and everything will be great.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Many moons ago, when I was first learning piano, my parents (upon realizing I was actullay serious) bought me a nice Yamaha. I appreciated the craftsmanship and wondered how long it must have taken to create.
This experience with the QuNeo and your statement about not shipping a 'pretty good' instrument reminds me of that early experience with a well crafted piano. Just because it is electronic should not preclude a certain level of craftsmanship and a goal of perfection. A well made instrument should be a source of great inspiration for years or decades, and not frustration for 6 weeks before begin returned for warranty service or offed on eBay.
Thank you for not settling for second best. Keep the updates coming.
/got to remember this
ImageImage

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:00 am

Looks like arrival is imminent:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kmi ... 266012a3eb

I spent the past few hours making a Max patch as an interface for all my controllers. First time I have used Max 6 in depth and it really is a lot easier to use - so many improvements! Given I am in Europe, I probably still have a little bit of a wait, but getting excited now.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 am

Anyone know what's up with the Drum rack mode for Live? The manual seems to imply that it splits the pads between 'drum rack' control and Impulse control. Seems weird, not sure I get it, and I never use Impulse. I asked on KMI's FB wall as well, so hopefully get some kind of response soon.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 am

mine arrived this morning (i pledged in early January).

no time to play with it today but it looks and feels good, although i already wish the USB port was on the back edge, not in the middle of the left edge.

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:53 am

fishmonkey wrote:mine arrived this morning (i pledged in early January).

no time to play with it today but it looks and feels good, although i already wish the USB port was on the back edge, not in the middle of the left edge.
I pledged in early January too. Did you receive a mail in advance saying it was dispatched?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:13 pm

trevox wrote:I pledged in early January too. Did you receive a mail in advance saying it was dispatched?
nope, no shipping notification, which was a bit odd.

i missed the courier yesterday, and rang them to say just leave the package outside my door, as i assumed it was a completely different delivery. luckily i was home today when they redelivered, otherwise my QuNeo and Softstep would have been sitting outside my front door all day...

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
trevox wrote:I pledged in early January too. Did you receive a mail in advance saying it was dispatched?
nope, no shipping notification, which was a bit odd.

i missed the courier yesterday, and rang them to say just leave the package outside my door, as i assumed it was a completely different delivery. luckily i was home today when they redelivered, otherwise my QuNeo and Softstep would have been sitting outside my front door all day...
Ah okay, so maybe they have done away with the advance notice. I will be keeping my ear out for a delivery van so! One last question - are you based in North America? I presume it will take a little longer to get over to Europe...

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Hnnnrnrgg I want it so bad

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 pm

trevox wrote:]Ah okay, so maybe they have done away with the advance notice.

I have been emailing with KMI about this issue, and they told me today that everyone should get a tracking email before their unit ships....meaning mine has not shipped yet, even though I paid in December & apparently some people who paid in January have theirs in hand.

Can anyone with one in hand confirm how it weorks with drum racks? are ~ 50% of the pads really dedicated to frigging Impulse?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm sure it's just a stock setting since Impulse works chromatically; it shouldn't be hard to change.
I think we get 16 banks to switch through and COMA looks pretty straightforward so it shouldn't be much of a problem to program.
The only problem with controlling the drum rack is that the Live api isn't open to being able to control the box that shows which part of the rack you're at, ie you can't use a controller to scroll through the rack :x
ImageImage

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:20 pm

I just don't get why it would ever be set up that way. I can't imagine a set of circumstances where I'd want to be playing Impulse AND a drum rack at the same time. Why would controls for *both* need to be on the same QuNeo preset page? I'm sure you can remap everything manually, but jesus, I just don't get the thought process here. I've sent an email to tech support for further clarification, but to me, it would make more sense to have 2 presets, 1 that controls Drum racks & one that controls Impulse.

For reference, here's the grid layout from the manual:

http://i.imgur.com/Wwm8G.jpg

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Now that I've seen it, that's odd.
I can see how it might force one to rejuvenate Impulse but to not have a default 16 dedicated pads for drum rack is...stubborn?
ImageImage