How Do You Setup Your Drums?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Quadrix

How Do You Setup Your Drums?

Post by Quadrix » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:45 am

I myself use the impulse and put sample on the impulse. i make a clip from there. but i cant find a way to mix separate samples individually? also when i use sidechain compression through impulse is there a way to only sidechain it to the kick? If not what should i be setting my drum samples on? if you know please reply. :D

kevwestbeats

Re: How Do You Setup Your Drums?

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:53 am

I am starting to get into drum racks after really falling in love with using Kong with Reason rewired to Live. I was using Giest for a while also and am considering grabbing Maschine because its library seems intersting well maschine does too but really its library is a turn on maybe even the mpc ren I am a drumaholic I also use Addictive drums from time to time
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 am

Drum racks: group kicks snares etc for separate processing. Group (or buss) with other percussion ( breaks, cymbals etc...) and lightly compress to gel it all up

Can set up choke groups for hats and much more...... get into drum racks and open it all up. Can assign the projects sends, load up multi sample racks and other kick ass features found all over the web. Far more than I can explain. Dunno what I did before drum racks...

W.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:08 pm

drumset with 4 mics. group the tracks. then i go crazy with effects and no one listens but me.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 pm

this could answer the 'things i wish i had known when getting started' thread too:

drum racks

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:45 pm

drum racks
most of the time based on one the the ableton vintage kits (uk IIRC) that has separate "bus" inside for kicks, snares, hats, cymbals, percs, toms, etc) so it makes a clean mixer compared to ungrouped racks

Quadrix

Post by Quadrix » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for all the info :D

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:55 pm

You can mix and effect individual pads of Impulse by creating new audio tracks and in "Audio From" choosing specific pads of the Impulse.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:49 am

I was totally into DrumRacks for a while, I love the idea and the modularity, the bluehanding with controllers like the APC40 etc...
However what bugs me most about Ableton Live is the inability to store and recall parameters per clip.

I am now back to using a customized Reaktor ensemble for drums.
It gives me everything I need.
Lot's of LFO or stepping modulation, tons of parameters, all stored and recalled via program change using Live's midi clips.

This will soon be replaced with a DSI Tempest though, I'm tired of all this nonsense.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:07 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
This will soon be replaced with a DSI Tempest though, I'm tired of all this nonsense.
I'm actually YouTubing Machinedrum tutorials and eying a $600 MD SPS-1 on Craigslist right now. After going hardware, I want more hardware. I can't say DSI stuff floats my boat but I'm about to pull the trigger on a MD.

But with that said, Geist has got to be gods gift to drum sampling - so awesome
Ableton | Elektron

Music

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 am

kevwestbeats wrote:I am starting to get into drum racks after really falling in love with using Kong with Reason rewired to Live. I was using Giest for a while also and am considering grabbing Maschine because its library seems intersting well maschine does too but really its library is a turn on maybe even the mpc ren I am a drumaholic I also use Addictive drums from time to time
What made you ditch the Rewired Kong setup? That's what I'm running right now and am lovin it...can't see a real need for Ableton drumracks if you have Kong.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Geist has got to be gods gift to drum sampling - so awesome
I've heard this stuff before so I got questions.
First of all I mainly use Live as a tool for Performing/Producing live on the fly ultra spontaneous things. If it cant be midi mapped, I dont really use it much.

So Giest can be use as a VST in Live, and you can float the GUI, is it resizable too?
Whats the limit to number of parameter sequencers, OR how many parameters can have a unique parameter sequence?
Whats the CPU hit?
Can you recall presets/parameters in Giest via program change numbers from Live midi clips?
Could you midi map to the sequencer and get LED feedback if one was ambitious enough to take on that task?

Now I am wondering if it's 64bit too, but I am sure I can get those question answered at the site.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Question.. What are the main advantages for you guys of one tool/method over another? Say Drum Racks over Geist for example..
Is it sound quality or workflow or programability or?

I have tried Nerve, and though I really dig some of it's features ie it's internal synth engine, envelope editing, sound characteristic ect.. I still come back to Drum Racks..

Hd

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 am

I had been using drumRacks for a while now, like YEARS.
Totally customized my APC40 through Bomes to do a lot with drumRacks.
Still no solid way of storing and recalling parameters per clip.
Still so tedious to edit automation envelopes.

I really like drumRacks and the modularity of Ableton's racks in general
but, I finally went back to Reaktor and a customized version of Limelite.
Tons of parameter automation,
and ALL parameters are stored with snaps, recalled via program change.

for me it's always about performance based workflow.
I want to do A LOT of things really fast, and when I like what I am doing, I want that saved/recalled with the clip.
nothing kills a session like clicking a mouse to do some minor technical thing, like search through a menu to make some changed that cant be mapped.