.wav panned audio doesnt work. (multiple players)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
GiantGoldenMole

.wav panned audio doesnt work. (multiple players)

Post by GiantGoldenMole » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Iv recently run into a problem where I've noticed audio that is hard panned to the left in ableton live is no longer audible once exported.

I decided to run a test on this by playing a single note through operator and varying the notes position in the stereo field. First in the centre, then a hard left pan followed by a hard right pan then a gradual pan from right to left and then back to centre. I have exported this as .wav in multiple sample rates and bit rates then played them through multiple players on my computer.

Windows Media player plays the audio fine with both left and right pans clearly audible, however when this same file is played in Itunes, VLC or Foobar all of left channel information is missing so anything panned to hard left of the stereo field is silent.

Does anyone know if this is fixable or if this is a problem with the way these players read .wav? If that's the case its a pretty serious issue!

If you haven't heard of this and you have time please try it out for yourselves and let me know if you get the same results.

Cheers

mrobare

Re: .wav panned audio doesnt work. (multiple players)

Post by mrobare » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 pm

hi

try opening the wave file with an editor
and see what is going on

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

is always handy

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous