Bass is an octave too low

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elseano

Bass is an octave too low

Post by elseano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am

Hey folks
Ive got a bassline sounding pretty sweet but it just feels that the patch is an octave too low if I put it up 1 octave it sounds crisp and clean but down an octave and it gets a weird vibrato effect.
Its the warm studio patch from trilian, ive noticed it happens with any realish sounding bass patch you go down a few octaves and it starts to sound weird
anyone got any tips?

Da hand

Re: Bass is an octave too low

Post by Da hand » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Use a different patch that sounds good where you want it, or tweak this patch to make it sound good. However, sounds/synth patches do sound different at different pitches, that is the way sound works :wink:

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm

elseano wrote:Hey folks
Ive got a bassline sounding pretty sweet but it just feels that the patch is an octave too low if I put it up 1 octave it sounds crisp and clean but down an octave and it gets a weird vibrato effect.
Its the warm studio patch from trilian, ive noticed it happens with any realish sounding bass patch you go down a few octaves and it starts to sound weird
anyone got any tips?
Perhaps it's so low that your speakers can't produce the fundamental very well?

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:14 pm

hi

I had the same problem with downloaded midi files
could not figure out why the bass was to low
i kept adding a midi octave up
I was using Trillian after looking
at it I notice a setting to play 1 octave lower
felt like a moron for not reading the manual

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Yeah, getting a good bass sound is hard to achieve, as you want both a good sub bass quality and also higher frequencies to give it color and presence in the mix. The only fix is to play around with everything. Play with the synth patch, so maybe if you're using two oscillators, you split them an octave apart. Use different waveforms and treat each oscillator differently until it starts to work.

The key of your tune will also impact the sound. As someone said earlier, some pitches sound good and some don't. You might have to modify the music to avoid the bass hitting those notes. Effects can also help, or hinder this process. Make sure your EQ is set to not conflict with other low frequencies in the mix. You can even split the bass into multiple frequency ranges and treat them all differently.

elseano

Post by elseano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for the replies guys
is there anything in particular I should be doing whilst tweaking is it just playing with filters attack and drive? anything else
ill have a go with the multiband dynamics plug and try and split it up, I don't really want to change the sound as such I love the sound but the crappy false vibrato is doing my head in.