Manual for Analog

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jsn

Manual for Analog

Post by jsn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi,

Just thought I'd drop a line here about something I accidentally found today. As you know, AAS is responsible for designing Ableton's native Analog synthesizer. I had never researched AAS so closely before now but they offer a synth in their own product line called Ultra-Analog-1 and I am just reading the manual for this thing (Because I like the character of Analog and I thought to see if there might be something similar over at AAS) and it reads like a manual for Analog. It features a little better overview than you might find in the Live manual about certain aspects of the synth's architecture, but this thing is nearly identical (as it pertains to the synthesis engine) to Analog. So, if you want a different overview (including some nice filter and saturation plots) of the components and architecture behind Analog inside of Live then definitely check this out. They've got a link to the manual on the product page of UA-1. http://www.applied-acoustics.com/

Perhaps someone has mentioned this before over the years (surely), in that case I mention again for some newcomers and apologise for the potential redundancy otherwise. Just thought it might be interesting for the RTFM types like myself.

Cheers!
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

login

Re: Manual for Analog

Post by login » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

yep, also colision, electric and tension are from AAS

jsn

Post by jsn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

login wrote:yep, also colision, electric and tension are from AAS
good point! I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar products and manuals to match these, where one could get a better overview of Live's versions. Will check that later

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Bummer. Looks like their site is exploded right now.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

jsn

Post by jsn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm

ttilberg wrote:Bummer. Looks like their site is exploded right now.
Hi. No, it is fine here from Sweden. Here is the UA-1 product page http://www.applied-acoustics.com/ultraanalog/overview/

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm

jsn wrote:
good point! I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar products and manuals to match these, where one could get a better overview of Live's versions. Will check that later
electric = Lounge Lizard (minus fx), tension = String Studio (minus fx).

Chromaphone is a further development off collision.

bye, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

jsn

Post by jsn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Palmer Eldritch wrote:
jsn wrote:
electric = Lounge Lizard (minus fx), tension = String Studio (minus fx). Chromaphone is a further development off collision.
Good to know. I'll have to check out those manuals to see if there is any extra and useful information I can apply to using their twins in Live. Thanks

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi. No, it is fine here from Sweden. Here is the UA-1 product page http://www.applied-acoustics.com/ultraanalog/overview/
Thank you! It looks like it's back up -- was probably just a quick glitch at the exact time I was trying to load it earlier.

Thanks for this great tip.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:48 pm

jsn wrote:Hi, Just thought I'd drop a line here about something I accidentally found today. As you know, AAS is responsible for designing Ableton's native Analog synthesizer.
Hi jsn,

How did you learn the AAS was responsible for Analog?

Thanks

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:53 pm

mylkoa wrote:
jsn wrote:Hi, Just thought I'd drop a line here about something I accidentally found today. As you know, AAS is responsible for designing Ableton's native Analog synthesizer.
Hi jsn,

How did you learn the AAS was responsible for Analog?

Thanks
it's just common knowledge. IIRC when they were introduced Ableton were very up front about it, since then it hasn't been discussed as much (for no particular reason, it's no secret.)

IMO Lounge Lizard was much better then Electric. same instrument but AAS's effects chains after the synth were well done. with Live you have to use Albeton's (not as good) presets or roll your own. YMMV.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 pm

I just found it in the manual! "Analog is a virtual analog synthesizer, created in collaboration with Applied Acoustics Systems." LOL.

floond

Post by floond » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 pm

It actually says A|A|S in the top right corner of all the Live instruments they've made.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 pm

floond wrote:It actually says A|A|S in the top right corner of all the Live instruments they've made.
That's a great observation! Thanks, floond. I have also noticed that if you open the preferences window and go to the library tab, and then select Analog, there is a list of people who have done sound design for it. In my case, it was Andre Ettema, Brian Ales, Daniel Buttner, Francis Preve, Gautam, Moogulater, and Richard Devine.

I'm trying to teach myself synthesis, and have been studying Analog intently, because I've been using it to build the patches in Fred Welsh's synthesizer cookbook, however I'm stuck on the principle of "Envelope%", so I just started reading up on Analog in the archives to see if I could figure anything out.

I've found some great presets from an artist named Dedbird, for Analog, and so I'm studying those as well. I wish I could get a hold of the Covert Operator presets I've been reading about.

In time, I hope to create a short tutorial on Analog, for other users like me, who are new to synthesis and want to learn more. There is a lot of important information about the parameters that isn't published in the manual that people should know. Hopefully someone will find it useful :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:30 pm

mylkoa wrote:In time, I hope to create a short tutorial on Analog, for other users like me, who are new to synthesis and want to learn more. There is a lot of important information about the parameters that isn't published in the manual that people should know. Hopefully someone will find it useful :)
/facepalm

why do people who know nothing on a topic feel the need to teach others what they don't know?

:roll:

I get the urge to post stuff you wish you knew like the links you hope to find (but haven't found yet), it's you in 6 hours teaching you what you knew now, creating what you hope to find but this is why it gets harder and harder to find good info on anything on the web anymore.

/rant
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
mylkoa wrote:why do people who know nothing on a topic feel the need to teach others what they don't know? :roll:
I have learned a lot about Analog in the last few weeks, so when I write about it, it will be things I'm very familiar with, so I will be teaching others about things I know very well (not teaching others about things I don't know). Using spektrum, I have learned a lot about the responses of the various parameters, and I have charted them. I have yet to find this information discussed in the archives, and it is absent from the manual. Therefore, it is worth documenting. If you don't find it useful, then you are lucky - but other's might. Everybody has their own learning style, and that diversity can be a creative asset. Being patient with other people's perspectives and different viewpoints can bring many unexpected benefits.