PSY 'Gangnam style' - K-Pop

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fedexnman

Re: PSY 'Gangnam style' - K-Pop

Post by fedexnman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 am

PSY - gangnam style ?? , really sounds a lot like Tecnotronics - pump up the jam , to me

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 am

ShelLuser wrote:Many people consider the videoclip uber funny. Watch it several times because of it.

Is it possible that the music "grew" on them, eventually breaking down the barrier of "I don't understand a word he/she is singing so I don't like it"?
Yeah, I think the uber funny video and the cheesy dance helped to break down that barrier along with the catchy tune.

Or it could have more to do with this: http://www.racialicious.com/2012/09/20/ ... asian-man/

In general though, beyond a one hit wonder, it's probably near impossible for anyone that doesn't sing in English to gain long term mainstream success in the US.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:I am glad I dislike this stuff ((c)rap in general).....one and only one I give props to is Grand Master Flash and the furious five - The Message. That's the only (c)rap I had respect for. I dislike it and hip-hop as well. Not my cup of tea. For me, metal, blues, extreme metal, folk (scandinavian stuff with pagan/black metal roots), dark ambient, old stuff like Isley Brothers (they were good back in the day for the club scene for hooking up lolz). But to each his own.....
hense the avatar name...Darkenend soul
Ableton | Elektron

Music

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

delicioso wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:Many people consider the videoclip uber funny. Watch it several times because of it.

Is it possible that the music "grew" on them, eventually breaking down the barrier of "I don't understand a word he/she is singing so I don't like it"?
Yeah, I think the uber funny video and the cheesy dance helped to break down that barrier along with the catchy tune.

Or it could have more to do with this: http://www.racialicious.com/2012/09/20/ ... asian-man/

In general though, beyond a one hit wonder, it's probably near impossible for anyone that doesn't sing in English to gain long term mainstream success in the US.

I think it’s safe to say that if it wasn’t for the video nobody outside of the US would be listening to it. I don’t think it’s just “helped”. It’s the entire reason, whether you now like the song or not.

But I also think this is where things are heading for music in general. There’s so much music out there and unless you have a fat bankroll label promoting you, then the only way to approach upper level success is have a viral video….as if having high end studio productions coming out of your bedroom studio isn’t enough on your plate. You better start partnering up with video producers.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

Who ever said that you can't make money by giving your music away for free either lives in the pre-Internet days, has no idea what he's talking about or has never followed what PSY is doing.

In case you're interested: In 2.5 hours (at the time of writing) PSY is going to stream a live concert through his YouTube channel. You can see that here (YouTube link).

I have no idea what to expect; right now I only see a counter going backwards; 2.5 hours to go.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:09 pm

ShelLuser wrote:In case you're interested: In 2.5 hours (at the time of writing) PSY is going to stream a live concert through his YouTube channel. You can see that here (YouTube link).

I have no idea what to expect; right now I only see a counter going backwards; 2.5 hours to go.
Here's the video from that concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVi2iimv8J8

Someone was flying the Dutch flag!

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 pm

This video just reminded me of how much I like Korean girls.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 am

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Your post kinda reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhIMFy-stM
Awesome!

BTW, are you serious people? This tune is shit.

Vivo

Post by Vivo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Your post kinda reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhIMFy-stM
Awesome!

BTW, are you serious people? This tune is shit.

:lol: OMG?, It's the real life Eric Cartman on that you tube clip.