in what genre is most of the money?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heavensdaw

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 am

ttilberg wrote:Comment removed, because it contributed about as much as Tone Deft's.
ooo 'bitchy' but I get you mate :)

Hd

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:09 am

One thing to bear in mind with a look at which genres produce most money is contention for that money.

So let's say that of the genres,
musical genre X accounts for 1 billion dollars
musical genre Y accounts for 0.5 billion ,
and genre Z accounts for 0.02 billion

We know this money exists, but what number of people is it split between?
Does genre X have a billion people making it, while only 200 people make genre Z. That would mean that for an individual performer genre Z would be more profitable than A.
The genre Z performer earns one hundred thousand dollars from a smaller overall market than the genre A performer who gets a measly 1 dollar from his supposedly richer field.

We must also consider the total number of contenders in a genre. Total contenders includes everybody making that genre for no money, because they could potentially usurp the jobs of the earners. So if there are a million people who can replace you in your genre, your job security is low, because it is too easy to get replaced by a cheap upstart. If the barrier to entry is low, and there are many millions of candidates for each paid position (within each genre), it may be that each performer only gets paid once. Ever. The job keeps moving through the billions of contenders.

In short:
producing EDM? you are even more fucked than you thought.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Angstrom wrote:In short:
producing EDM? you are even more fucked than you thought.
:lol: ouch.

let the money thing go, have fun and consider yourself lucky that making music (EDM) has never been easier. when Skrillex won a Grammy in an interview he said something like "I dunno, I made that song on the tour bus with a laptop and a pair of headphones."

I wonder what the angst of symphonic musicians and their directors is like. compare that to a grappadura or QUANCE.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I don't make EDM and I don't listen to it. I have no idea what I am making, but I know it's not EDM.

innerstatejt

Post by innerstatejt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 pm

IF you want to get rich chasing popular genres, you're in trouble. By the time you figure out that Dubstep is a huge market, the time it takes you to develop your sound to be good enough to compete, another genre will take over.

Take a look at most artists who are the top of their genre. They are there because when they started doing it, it wasn't popular, thus there was less competition & they stood out as something fresh. Once the market has found those originators, there is very little interest in more of the same. Plus there are 100,000 other kids trying to compete for the same scraps.

If you really want to know what sells, it's passion. Sounds cheesey, but it's true. You can't have that "it" when you're just faking it for money & people see right through that.
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 pm

innerstatejt wrote:IF you want to get rich chasing popular genres, you're in trouble. By the time you figure out that Dubstep is a huge market, the time it takes you to develop your sound to be good enough to compete, another genre will take over.

Take a look at most artists who are the top of their genre. They are there because when they started doing it, it wasn't popular, thus there was less competition & they stood out as something fresh. Once the market has found those originators, there is very little interest in more of the same. Plus there are 100,000 other kids trying to compete for the same scraps.

If you really want to know what sells, it's passion. Sounds cheesey, but it's true. You can't have that "it" when you're just faking it for money & people see right through that.
you tell it like it really is bro... ;)

Hd