in what genre is most of the money?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:33 pm

andydes wrote:Love all the outrage in this thread.

So the OP wants a job doing what he loves. Or maybe even has a talent for it.

Is it selling out to make one type of music for recreation and something else for money.

If so, then have I also sold out for having a non music related job even though I love music?
I'm also amused. Many seem to think that if you earn money with music, you sell your soul. I'd rather see it as a full time hobby, where you might not always do what you want, but there is still room to do your private projects, and while you do music that is not your main taste, you're still developing your skills.

Whats funny is people who claim that 99 % of the music is shit, only their own stuff rocks. Seems a bit narrow minded, or narcissistic. The other day I was at a friends house and another guy said: "I don't make music for the masses, I make it for..." he paused a little, and my friend finished his sentence:"for Mozart!", and we both burst into laughter, while the other guy blushed a little. It pretty well showed the arrogance of such claims.

I believe anybody can recognize good music, so I have no problem with making music for the masses (I have not reached them yet though).

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Grappadura wrote:
andydes wrote:Love all the outrage in this thread.

So the OP wants a job doing what he loves. Or maybe even has a talent for it.

Is it selling out to make one type of music for recreation and something else for money.

If so, then have I also sold out for having a non music related job even though I love music?
I'm also amused. Many seem to think that if you earn money with music, you sell your soul. I'd rather see it as a full time hobby, where you might not always do what you want, but there is still room to do your private projects, and while you do music that is not your main taste, you're still developing your skills.

Whats funny is people who claim that 99 % of the music is shit, only their own stuff rocks. Seems a bit narrow minded, or narcissistic. The other day I was at a friends house and another guy said: "I don't make music for the masses, I make it for..." he paused a little, and my friend finished his sentence:"for Mozart!", and we both burst into laughter, while the other guy blushed a little. It pretty well showed the arrogance of such claims.

I believe anybody can recognize good music, so I have no problem with making music for the masses (I have not reached them yet though).
no, what you both don't get is that it's extremely rare for anyone to live solely off music no matter how talented they are.

I take it you're both very young. as you move through life you'll encounter people with this ambition, I've met dozens. you meet people struggling through it, you'll meet people like the OP that talk a lot but don't DO anything, you'll meet people that struggle, you might even have a go yourself and go through band drama over and over.

in time you'll learn. for now you talk.

what is the OP doing now to get him to where he wants to go? everyone wants the payout, nobody wants to do the work.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by andydes » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:53 pm

I guess you sell you if you only do stuff for money and don't enjoy the music you make.

I'm sure many an artist has been accused of selling out when they just wanted to try something different and their fans didn't like it.

It's fair enough asking where the cash is, but obviously you'll want something you can enjoy as well and not make you hate making music.

By the way, I read today that the rise of ipads and mobile gaming is making console makers think twice about developing new systems. Games market may change completely. Worth looking into.

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Grappadura wrote:
andydes wrote:Love all the outrage in this thread.

So the OP wants a job doing what he loves. Or maybe even has a talent for it.

Is it selling out to make one type of music for recreation and something else for money.

If so, then have I also sold out for having a non music related job even though I love music?
I'm also amused. Many seem to think that if you earn money with music, you sell your soul. I'd rather see it as a full time hobby, where you might not always do what you want, but there is still room to do your private projects, and while you do music that is not your main taste, you're still developing your skills.

Whats funny is people who claim that 99 % of the music is shit, only their own stuff rocks. Seems a bit narrow minded, or narcissistic. The other day I was at a friends house and another guy said: "I don't make music for the masses, I make it for..." he paused a little, and my friend finished his sentence:"for Mozart!", and we both burst into laughter, while the other guy blushed a little. It pretty well showed the arrogance of such claims.

I believe anybody can recognize good music, so I have no problem with making music for the masses (I have not reached them yet though).
no, what you both don't get is that it's extremely rare for anyone to live solely off music no matter how talented they are.

I take it you're both very young. as you move through life you'll encounter people with this ambition, I've met dozens. you meet people struggling through it, you'll meet people like the OP that talk a lot but don't DO anything, you'll meet people that struggle, you might even have a go yourself and go through band drama over and over.

in time you'll learn. for now you talk.

what is the OP doing now to get him to where he wants to go? everyone wants the payout, nobody wants to do the work.
I just asked a question, its amazing all you can deduce from it. For me it was a question that was worth asking, so I asked. I actually did not reveal any of my personal circumstances, that are way different from what you could imagine, but I wont post about that, cause I'm not interested in the internets opinion of my life.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm

whatever you say kid.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Tone Deft wrote:whatever you say kid.
Thank you father.

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 pm

andydes wrote:
It's fair enough asking where the cash is, but obviously you'll want something you can enjoy as well and not make you hate making music.
I wonder why some people feel compelled to hate any music.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Grappadura wrote:
andydes wrote:
It's fair enough asking where the cash is, but obviously you'll want something you can enjoy as well and not make you hate making music.
I wonder why some people feel compelled to hate any music.

There’s lots of people who did something creative in their free time that they enjoyed but as soon as it became their main source of income they started hating it because it became more about money without inspiration with deadlines.

Angstrom
Posts: 14727
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 pm

This is why I make music people dont like, and I hardly ever release it, just in case I accidentally make any money.
I'd hate people to think I'd "sold out" so I make sure that can never happen.
#realartists

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:This is why I make music people dont like, and I hardly ever release it, just in case I accidentally make any money.
I'd hate people to think I'd "sold out" so I make sure that can never happen.
#realartists
nice

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:43 pm

beats me wrote:
Grappadura wrote:
andydes wrote:
It's fair enough asking where the cash is, but obviously you'll want something you can enjoy as well and not make you hate making music.
I wonder why some people feel compelled to hate any music.

There’s lots of people who did something creative in their free time that they enjoyed but as soon as it became their main source of income they started hating it because it became more about money without inspiration with deadlines.
well thats certainly true.

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Angstrom wrote:This is why I make music people dont like, and I hardly ever release it, just in case I accidentally make any money.
I'd hate people to think I'd "sold out" so I make sure that can never happen.
#realartists
you were being sarcastic right? I suck at sorting out irony.

Grappadura
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Angstrom wrote:This is why I make music people dont like, and I hardly ever release it, just in case I accidentally make any money.
I'd hate people to think I'd "sold out" so I make sure that can never happen.
#realartists
whether its sarcasm or not, this is the attitude of some people, that shows that its really all about the image of being a real artist. Thats some big constraint to put on your music. and on your life.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Grappadura wrote:its really all about the image of being a real artist.
that's how this thread comes off. linking money to music and you sound like you're scheming to take the world by storm because you're awesome. you just need to know the genre and BOOM! you're moving out of mom's basement and into a Hollywood Lair Of Hookers and Blow.

did you try using Google's search engine to find which genre of music makes the most money?

and I'm not your father, that judge is an idiot and the appeal is still in process.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Angstrom
Posts: 14727
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 pm

yep, I was being sarcastic.

“Somebody said to me, ''But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.'' That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, ''Now, let's write a swimming pool.''”
Paul McCartney

Post Reply