What's your practical memory ceiling in Live 8 (32bit)?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
theextravaganttraveller

What's your practical memory ceiling in Live 8 (32bit)?

Post by theextravaganttraveller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 am

Lemmings and gerbils,

Curious to know you practical memory ceiling with 32bit Live. Yes, I do know the 64bit beta is out but I'm not ready to make that switch yet as loads of my plugins are not yet available in 64bit.

On an iMac (2.8 quad-i5, 8gb RAM) I can reliably make Live crash at about 2.7gb RAM usage, which is obviously lower than the expected 4gb per 32bit process. Hardly anything else is running on my system so available RAM is obviously not an issue.

My inquiry with Ableton support went unanswered so I turn to you for some info - what are your experiences, where do you cap off in 32bit?

nuxnamon

Re: What's your practical memory ceiling in Live 8 (32bit)?

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 am

~3.2 gb here.. use jbridge if you have to to get around the plugs that aren't 64 bit yet

mac pro

theextravaganttraveller

Post by theextravaganttraveller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 am

OK, thanks for the reply. Nice you're able to squeeze some more juice out of it! Thanks for the jbridge tip - forgot to mention I also rely a few M4L devices I've built so 64bit is no go for me at the mo. I have Kontakt Memory Server going which helps offload some mem usage, but Live still seems to be chugging memory even then. Ahh, the joys of working with computer music.. about ready to trade down for a bongo one of these days. :wink:

theextravaganttraveller

Post by theextravaganttraveller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Aha.. so it works both ways, not just 32-to-64. Great to know. Looks like I'll be trying this out tonight, hopefully the Mac version's stable. Cheers fellas!