Novation Ultranova - Automap and Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
alexdecker

Novation Ultranova - Automap and Ableton

Post by alexdecker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 am

Hey all

Ok, so I got the Novation Ultranova synthesizer. Questions about Automap, that hopefully someone can help me answer:

When in User mode, I can control the macro controls of a current device (as long as I activate it myself by clicking the titlebar of the device).
I'm not sure what the FX and Inst buttons are supposed to do yet, but when I click the Mixer button, I though I was gonna be able to control the volume of the first 8 tracks using the encoders (the Ultranova only has 8 encoders - no faders). But it doesn't seem to work that way. In the Automap mappings, when I am under the Mixer section, nothing is assigned, and I can't assign anything either. Just 8 empty slots, and thats it.

So… anyone have ANY experience with Automap and Ableton, that they can sum up real quick. I have searched the forums, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this problem…

- Alex

pgmjsd

Re: Novation Ultranova - Automap and Ableton

Post by pgmjsd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 am

I've got an ultranova too, but I don't use it for the mixer. There's no default mapping for un -> mixer, so you'll have to do that yourself.

Eddie Focusrite

Post by Eddie Focusrite » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Alex,

You can contact our tech support team at http://uk.novationmusic.com/support/contact-support

It sounds as though your MIDI Sync preferences in Ableton may not be correct, have you followed the Automap software setup guide for Ableton?

Eddie // Novation Tech Support

alexdecker

Post by alexdecker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Eddie

Yes, I set it up like it said in the software setup guide.

Do you mean to say that there is a way to make the Mixer button under the Automap section on the Ultranova synthesizer to control the volume/pan/send/whatever of Ableton? I mean automapped that is - like it automaps the encoders to the macro controls of the native Ableton devices for instance?

- Alex

Eddie Focusrite

Post by Eddie Focusrite » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Alex,

Ableton's Native devices, racks and mixer controls cannot be controlled by Automap as such. With a standard Novation MIDI controller they will map natively. The UltraNova only has Synth and Automap mode and so this isn't possible. This means that you won't be able to use the Automap mixer mode on your UltraNova to control Ableton's mixer.

The best way to control this is to create a user page with 8 CC assignments for the UltraNova and then use Ableton's MIDI map mode to map them to the mixer.

I hope this helps.

Eddie // Novation Tech Support.

alexdecker

Post by alexdecker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm

That helped a lot, thank you! A combination of Automaps MIDI capabilities and Ableton's midi remote scripts gave me all the control I wanted. Thanks again man!

- Alex