Machine Drum or Tempest...or ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sean_Clarke

Re: Machine Drum or Tempest...or ???

Post by Sean_Clarke » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

If you want to get away from being connected to a computer, they are all good machines.

If you are going to be recording to a computer anyway, make sure you check out SPARK Hardware by Arturia, it is a great bit of kit- solid hardware, good pads, lost of knobs and buttons for real time but still just a 'drum machine' (not an MPC like Maschine)

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html

Thete is a new 1.5 update just about to come out that will improve it even further including filters modeled on Oberheim, scratching FX, chromatic notes across the sequencer and drum pads etc...
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm

I will be ditching the computer completely for music.
I will record to various tape media.
The only computer aspect will be posting to the web.

My main quest is performance, and sound quality.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:53 pm

So what are some of the differences in the 3 Elektron devices?
As much as I have watched on videos, the main fundamental differences I know of or dont know of are
Octotrack is more like a sampling machine, live input recording and manipulation plus sequencing.
Monomachine is like a Machinedrum with VA synthesis?
Machinedrum is a mix between sample based and VA synthesis?

>>>Whew, tough question as they are all pretty different. The OT is definitely the most capable in terms of midi sequencing and sampling, though the MnM has a good midi sequencer too, and the MD's UW sampling is fun as well given all it's limitations (2.5MB, mono, 12bit). The MnM is more than just a VA synth, it also does FM and physical modelling synthesis, and the newer MKII ones let you load your own single cycle waveforms too. Still, everything in the MnM is more or less monophonic, unless you don't mind losing a few of the 6 available tracks to fake polyphony.

The MD is the same as the MnM, in that it's also capable of physical modelling as well as sampling.

In general I'd say the MD is the most immediate and easiest to grasp, and IMO the most peformance oriented. The OT would be next in terms of performance capabilities, but it's a complex box that will likely take you some time to really master. I don't even think I'm close yet, and I've used mine for hours a day (haven't even tried the midi sequencing yet even).

The MnM is sort of the odd ball in my opinion, in that it lacks some of the performance options of the other two. It's also the one I think that takes the most work to really make it shine, very very small tweaks in the parameters can make a huge difference in the sound. I think a lot of people give up too soon before they really learn it fully, which is why so many people (wrongly IMO) say it sounds digital or metallic. I was able to get some really nice and warm sounds out of it, it just takes a lot of time to program it like that in some cases. <<<

I am kinda eyeballing a Monomachine with the keyboard. In some user videos it seems polyphonic?

>>> Keep in mind the SFX-6 (keyboard version) is out of production, so you can only get them used now. And yes, it has a mode where you can dedicated all 6 tracks to polyphonic playing, but it's all or nothing. You can't for instance say you want 4 tracks for poly and 2 for mono. <<<

However the Octotrack is starting to look like an awesome replacement for a few of the sample mash up plugs I like.

>>> Definitely. <<<

I'd love to hear you guys thoughts on all things Elektron, or good references besides the obvious elektron website.

>>> Here's some collections of user tips and tricks I've collected for the MD and MnM. They might not make sense without owning one, but should give you some idea of what kinds of crazy things you can do with these:

http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_ ... tricks.htm

http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_ ... tricks.htm

Usually I tell people the MD is the one to get first, it's the easiest to learn and can do it all in terms of studio or live, especially if you need a hardware drum machine. Plus it's a great introduction into the Elektron way of doing things. The OT is by far the most open-ended of all three, there's just a ton of different ways you can use it. But that seems to confuse people who don't have a clear goal of what it is they want it for. The MnM is a really awesome synth/sequencer lab if you're willing to put in the time to learn the intricacies of the machines it has. <<<
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 pm

AWESOME thanks for all the info.

So far that validates my feeling about it a bit.
Which would be to get Tempest accompanied by Octotrack next.

I dont mind something being complex, or having a steep learning curve, as long as the results at the end of the day are worth it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:13 pm

FWIW, I don't think it's a matter of the OT being complex per se, just that there's no ONE way to use it. It's very opened ended, and often times there's mutiple ways to do the same thing. So you just need to put in the time to see what works best for you.
Tarekith

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:03 pm

sounds like Live a bit, and I like that.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 pm

BTW - the Machinedrum is quite satisfying. It's not as immediate (straight out the box fun) as I expected. You have to get used to key combinations and menus, and it does have a particular sound (which I like) but after staying up WAAAAAAAAy past late and having to use headphones (my ears are tired) - I'm loving this thing

except for the sample transfer - WTF...this probably wasn't a big deal when these things were created but having to sit and wait, like forever to have a loop transferred, painful

With that said, Tarekith...have you had any success recording loops into MD on the fly from Ableton? When I try this, the loops are off beat from my kick, snare, etc. I have Ableton and MD sync'd up perfectly but when I try and record and play back a loop from the ram machines, it's off...curious
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Are you using the TM-1 and turbo mode to transfer samples? Should be pretty damn quick with those.

Sorry, never sampled anyting from Live, I always just record the MD's outs directly.
Tarekith

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Reading up on the TM 1 this a.m. I learned u have to hold the turbo button down until it lights up. I'm away from the MD now but I'm going to give that a shot

I'm going to keep geeking out on recording loops outta live into MD

I love learning new stuff. Life longer learned over here.

Sorry to jack ur thread JS
Ableton | Elektron

Music

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:10 pm

no worries,
I like reading this stuff.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Tarekith wrote:Are you using the TM-1 and turbo mode to transfer samples? Should be pretty damn quick with those.

Sorry, never sampled anyting from Live, I always just record the MD's outs directly.

So...even with the Turbo on, which is great for transferring 16 bit samples, transferring 24-bit 200kb+ size samples still takes a minute. I'm trying to get my Driven Machine Drum samples into the MD.

BTW - DMD just released another round limited to 200 downloads. I love their drums and especially their Geist kits.
email from Nathaniel Shreve wrote: hey...

one of the most common questions I receive from
Driven Machine Drums STRIKES BACK!! users is
"Is the original library available? I want that one too!"

and sadly, I have to answer no, DMD1 is sold out.
I made a promise to only sell 997 copies of the original
library.

It recently occurred to me when someone was asking
about Hi-Fi 909 and Hi-Fi Miami that these libraries were
added to DMD 1.5 a year later. SO, I checked the
total upgrades and new sales AFTER DMD 1.5 was
released and only 673 copies of the upgrade content
was sold.

So, I'm going to open up 200 copies of the upgrade content,
saving the remaining for any original DMD customers who
may inquire over the next few years. To be clear, this is
ONLY the content from DMD 1.5 UPGRADE, not the
entire collection.

Included is:
Hi-Fi 909
Hi-Fi Miami and
DMD 1.5 samples from these sources:

Euro Modular
Serge Modular
Jomox MBrane 11
Drumfire DF500
Simmons SDS-1000
MFB-503
Elektron Monomachine

Plus some vintage tubes that cost embarrassingly high prices.
Cool EQs and Compressors too...

There's a total of 2,280 new sounds not contained within
Driven Machine Drums Strikes Back.
the email goes on
Here's the link:
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/chec ... ge=English

Expansion is available for $27USD
I made a coupon available for you for an additional 20% OFF,
applicable until Sep 4th, 2012.
coupon code: dmdxpansion

So, enjoy! There's a lot of tones within this library not included
with DMDSB. And what better way to continue the 20 year anniversary
of 1992 than with some TR909 and 808 sounds?

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

PCE-

Nathaniel

DMD 1.5 Xpansion
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/chec ... ge=English
coupon code: dmdxpansion
Ableton | Elektron

Music

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:54 pm

So I finally got my Tempest last week.
Spent all weekend learning things.
I have to say I am really happy with it. Not only does it do a lot of things I had hoped it would, it does some really cool things I had no idea it did, like using the roll in lock mode and sequencing synth melodies or bass lines. BANG!

Nevertheless I still want something Elektron, looking forward to whatever their new toy is.

electrofux2007

Post by electrofux2007 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am

There is one drawback on the elektron machines and that is the narrow placement of the knobs. Idont have very thick fingers but i am having problems turning just one knob. You tend to bump the adjacent knobs and they are very responsive.

Apart from that they are quite good for sequenceing with a quick workflow.