make that money, make make that money baby!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sparklepuff

Re: make that money, make make that money baby!

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm

QUANCE wrote:why are you playing shows 500 miles away if its not cost effective...focusing on live performances than trying to sell music
Read your own words, idiot
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

QUANCE

Post by QUANCE » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:02 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
QUANCE wrote:why are you playing shows 500 miles away if its not cost effective...focusing on live performances than trying to sell music
Read your own words, idiot
you are having trouble understanding.

i will put it in an example word problem for you so you can understand.

If you are going to be paid 1,000 dollars for a job that is going to require you to travel 500 miles, and each mile of travel costs you 2 dollars with all other expenses included, would you accept this job?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 pm

I think it's really cute that you think you're going to get offered $1,000 a gig.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 pm

I can see why the guy doesn't want to post his tunes, he's seriously talked his shit up!

QUANCE, you are seriously setting yourself up for a huge reality check. I've never played an electronic gig, just been spending years getting my chops up and I'm almost there. But I did go to music school and I know a lot of people with varying levels of success. I've been in bands and tried to make it playing gigs, had countless clueless kids tell me they "have a plan" which NEVER works. Everyone thinks they can make it. So 100,000 people on facebook are going to hear your tunes. How sure are you that they'll even like it? If its shit, it doesn't matter how many people hear it, its still shit.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 am

Pet Shop Boys 2.012

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:57 pm

QUANCE wrote:
Hermanus wrote:Quance

You have a lot of arguments but nothing real except yadayada lasting 4 pages.

Provide us, poor ableton users we are, some links to proove your masterness.
I would be pleased to praise you if I could hear some great tracks from you...
my argument is not that you have to be a master or even be the best, but you need a solid business strategy for what youre doing. its astounding the shit im hearing from all you "full time professioanls" about how you conduct youself as a business. and its also eye opening to see how much pessimissm about this business there is on this forum - if you dont believe in yourself no one else is going to. youre shooting yourself in the foot from square one.
HAHAHA man you've just proven your silly mind.

You don't even understand some gentle touch of humor.
GO on for your ego enhancement program, good luck with that.

Seriously you have answered my post like it was an important matter. man go down to the ground and stop chemicals maybe... (?)

I'm not arguing anymore in here, useless as I don't wanna be part of your egotic program.

434Live

Post by 434Live » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 am

Well this forum was completey useless and very stupid. Not to mention that the guy was a coward anyway for not posting any of his music, while preaching about how great he is and how many people will like his music when he becomes famous and well known 'out of the blue'. Like seriously, if all you wanted to talk about was how good you are 'going' to be, you should have put the title as 'Trolling 101'. But whatever, you will probably be as successful Michael Jackson in about 2 weeks from now anyway. Ya, go ahead and quit your day job and see what happens! Trust me I'll be the first one to buy your next big hit! :lol:
Anyone know any clubs you can get into when you're 15?

434Live

Post by 434Live » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 am

OOOOPPPPPSSSS IM SOOOO SORRY IF I HURT YOUR FEELINGS!!!!!!

Its funny how people think they dont need to work to get what they want! I mean seriously, YOUR ALREADY USING ABLETON thats the easiest it should get!! YOU THINK SOME BIG TIME PRODUCER IS GONNA OFFER YOU HIS LABEL FISRT HAND!!!! NOOOOOOO!! YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT ON THE INTERNET AND GO MEET PEOPLE AND PLAY FOR THEM!!!!!! You've gotta network!!! Actually talk to people, dont just look at your monitor for 2 weeks. YOU SHOULDNT EVEN BE DOING IT FOR THE MONEY RIGHT NOW!!! JUST BE GRATEFUL FOR THE FACT THAT YOU ARE PLAYING YOUR MUSIC AND YOU LIKE WHAT YOU DO!!!

IM SOOOO SORRY THAT YOU WORK AT MCDONALDS AND YOU JUST MESSED UP SOMEONES ORDER!!!! BUT NO ONE SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY!!!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 pm

http://www.qmmhome.com/

there is no doubt this guy is gonna be BIG and stay BIG

nopattern

Post by nopattern » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 am

QUANCE wrote: its nice to have your bestfriend and potential manager run one of the bigger blogs on the internet.
im asking here for information on the salaries and incomes of other DJs and somehow this turned into you making me prove myself. believe me, it will happen.
i would imagine your friend with the blog would be a more useful source of this information. not that he would directly ask artists but the people i know with high traffic blogs tend to be friendly with most of the promoters and have a general sense of what's going on at least in their city...

but i agree with your motivation, despite what people think this an amazing time to be making money off of music, and there's so many ways. so if you can fill a market and deliver something they like then do it.

the band thing i don't understand why you ask, electronic band? because you mention dj salaries? if you're making dance tracks please tell me you've earned at least some money DJ'ing in your life? i guess it really doesn't even matter at this point. the topic just kind of bothers me because i am in a similar situation of turning my productions into my profession but i've been djing in my city and fucking around with ableton for almost ten years and earned a considerable amount of money. not to mention rocking parties and getting word of mouth in a major city that your social media guy can't get you. that's obviously not to big myself up cause we're in anonymous internet land but that's how everyone does it. i don't know one so called dj/producer that didn't spend years dj'ing before turning it into a music career. I'm not saying it's not possible but it blows my mind how someone could ask about a career making dance music that never earned a dollar djing or playing out live... i already feel like a dinosaur talking about word of mouth and im 29

anyway, i hope you do it. you sound like you will and that's what alot musicians lack is the ability to create their own reality :idea:

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 am

Posting *bump* purely so this thread stays on the first page ...

Makes for some amusing reading ; )
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

This guy is basicaslly asking naive questions (which is fair enough, nothing wrong with that) then when told the truth by those who do it - that making a living in music is generally very hard work and not very financially rewarding - seems to either not believe it and/or insult the people giving the advice by implying that they're not good enough to be earning more and working less hard, and that their real or percieved struggles are a result of being mediocre.

Best of luck but a bit of humility and realistic expecations go a long way...

Some interesting responses anyway, like everyone else I've fantasised about quitting the boring job and all the rest but there's a lot to be said about a reliable paycheck and a good routine. Just started reading Jon Acuff "Quitter" which is very much along these lines. I know it's a pain finding free time after a tiring day at work when you want to see your friends/sleep/watch TV/get drunk but a wise plan is probably to keep putting up with work, keep doing music in spare time (make some first-world sacrifices if necessary, e.g. see your mates a bit less or cut down on Xbox if you're serious about getting good at music) and see how it goes. As others have said, it's kinda nice to just be as creative as you want without worrying whether your creating will pay the bills. Once you start actually earning money and playing lots of gigs then maybe it'll be time to reconsider.

Then again I'm just a small-timer with a handful of gigs and no releases under my belt so you shouldn't take me seriously ;)

juniorsfave

Post by juniorsfave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Well you can't blame him he doesn't know what he is talking about. On the other hand if he is serious about his thread processing gateway, then I think he should take Secondhand Serenade as an example. The man behind Secondhand Serenade is not only a talented musician but also a great producer who wrote, sang, played, and mixed his music all by himself. He really started off as a lowly online musical artist providing samples to different people, and I think that should be how OP should start off.
Last edited by juniorsfave on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

:P

434Live

Post by 434Live » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:27 am

H20nly wrote:http://www.qmmhome.com/

there is no doubt this guy is gonna be BIG and stay BIG

HAHAHAHA LMFAO!!!!!!