Can't hear tracking panning when sending to master track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tommyecho

Can't hear tracking panning when sending to master track

Post by tommyecho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here in the ableton forums. I have been searching everywhere, and I can't find the solution for my problem. When listening to tracks that are sending audio to the master track, Panning doesn't work properly. When I turn the pan knob, I can see that either the left or right signal of a track is being sent. Unfortunately, the master track is sending everything out as a balanced signal. This means that I can pan the entire mix from left to right using the master track's panning knob, but I can't send individual clips to different positions within the stereo field. Now, if I decide to send the audio to the external outs 1 and 2 of my interface, which is a UA apollo, I can hear the panning fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom

tommyecho

Re: Can't hear tracking panning when sending to master track

Post by tommyecho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
tommyecho wrote:I have been searching everywhere, and I can't find the solution for my problem. When listening to tracks that are sending audio to the master track, Panning doesn't work properly.
What Live version do you use and on what kind of tracks is this happening?

Also; are you using Live stand alone or rewired into another program by any chance?

Are we talking MIDI tracks with (vst) instruments on them, MIDI tracks with the External Instrument or audio tracks of some sort?

Because quite frankly I can't reproduce this behaviour no matter what I try.

Thanks for the quick response, Peter! I am using 8.3.3, which I just downloaded last night. I'm using live stand alone, with the max for live add-on.

Audio tracks (both stereo and mono).

Like is said in the previous post, if I send each track directly to the external outs, I can pan just fine. Otherwise, when sending to the master track, the panning doesn't do anything. I tried this same thing in Reaper, and everything works fine there, so I don't think it is the apollo interface. . .

tommyecho

Re: Can't hear tracking panning when sending to master track

Post by tommyecho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Fixed it! I feel kind of silly. There was a plugin on my master track (Console recall for the apollo), and, once I eliminated it, everything was fine. Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the trouble!