U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by mholloway » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 pm

tedlogan wrote: I too can't wait for z3. I should probably get Z HZ which would make Z3 free. Man, that's real generous of them.
But HZ costs $100... not exactly a cheap or 'generous' upgrade price, more or less standard I'd say, though you do get all those Batman presets I suppose.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Well, 62 pounds for a resonator, diva filters and presets yes. Not amazing, but then zebra three will be free. How is that not a damn good deal? If I skip HZ, z3 will be around £20 for me. Generous if you ask me.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 am

tedlogan wrote:Well, 62 pounds for a resonator, diva filters and presets yes. Not amazing, but then zebra three will be free. How is that not a damn good deal? If I skip HZ, z3 will be around £20 for me. Generous if you ask me.
HZ also gives you the per channel compressors!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:15 am

tedlogan wrote:Generous if you ask me.
That's the first time I've experienced such generosity in the synth world. The 2nd was the way Spectrasonics doing great updates and giving tons of sounds for free, including the amazing Omni-TR. Is there any better one?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:35 pm

New u-he plugin ETA Novemberish

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 pm

tedlogan wrote:Well, 62 pounds for a resonator, diva filters and presets yes. Not amazing, but then zebra three will be free. How is that not a damn good deal? If I skip HZ, z3 will be around £20 for me. Generous if you ask me.
The inclusion of the filter is in itself worth it IMO.

It's nice to have those presets as well, to see how a seasoned, creative synth master creates their sounds, but it's the Diva filters...they really make Zebra a joy for me.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm

If you want analogue emulated filters for Zebra try Cytomic The Drop.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Gotta admit, I spoke from ignorance earlier, I didn't realize that ZebraHZ has the Diva filters.. !? I thought it was mostly an expensive preset collection. So, does it have all the Diva filters? Minimoog, ms-20, the roland juno/jupiter and even the more recent Oberheim? (those were great last time I played with diva..) The website for Dark Zebra doesn't seem to specify, in fact the only thing it says is -- "ZebraHZ features CPU-expensive Diva filters but does not have Diva's multicore support"

further info from those who own it would be helpful... thanks

edit: and while I'm at it, how are those Batman presets? The demo vid gave me mixed feelings; some interesting stuff and some surprisingly plain stuff, too.. and to be honest, while I like HZ's filmscores in general, what I don't like are Howard Scarr's presets for Zebra. He seems to spend a lot of time recreating the most bland, basic patches imaginable, like cheap-sounding flutes and endless, useless electric key models and organs, etc. The whole philosophy of his Zebra factory presets seems more about a highly generic bread-n-butter approach to a stock library, which kinda makes sense, but even on that 'basic functionality' level, they aren't very good, imho. His more involved patches (textured pads and sequences and whatnot) are never particularly worthwhile either, again imho of course. This was the main reason I was turned off by ZebraHZ; I liked the batman film concept, but saw that HS was involved and thought 'the last thing I need is a bunch more HS presets I'll never touch." Fwiw, Michael Kastrup and Arksun have made some of the best Zebra presets I've heard: truly inspiring stuff.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:24 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:The inclusion of the filter is in itself worth it
Especially since it probably won't be included in the Z3.
XSIMan wrote:New u-he plugin ETA Novemberish
The Presswerk, yeah! I love Glue and really excited about the comparisons.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Zebra HZ was a custom made version of Zebra for Hans Zimmer so he could make certain sounds for the movie Dark Knight Rises. Many of the Dark Knight presets wont work on the normal Zebra. It has most of DIVA's filters it's only missing the Oberheim filter. No multicore mode so it's heavy on CPU it has a resonator and a few other fancy things. If you own Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ you get Zebra 3 free.

Zebra 3 will have lower CPU filters based on DIVA's

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Last edited by XSIMan on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:02 pm

XSIMan wrote:Zebra HZ was a custom made version of Zebra for Hans Zimmer so he could make certain sounds for the movie Dark Knight Rises. Many of the Dark Knight presets wont work on the normal Zebra. It has most of DIVA's filters it's only missing the Oberheim filter. No multicore mode so it's heavy on CPU it has a resonator and a few other fancy things. If you own Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ you get Zebra 3 free.

Zebra 3 will have lower CPU filters based on DIVA's
Ah, so no Oberheim filter, drat.. love that one in Diva.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:36 pm

I like this compressor :) The GLue included in live 9 is still awesome.

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 pm

mholloway wrote:edit: and while I'm at it, how are those Batman presets? The demo vid gave me mixed feelings; some interesting stuff and some surprisingly plain stuff, too.. and to be honest, while I like HZ's filmscores in general, what I don't like are Howard Scarr's presets for Zebra. He seems to spend a lot of time recreating the most bland, basic patches imaginable, like cheap-sounding flutes and endless, useless electric key models and organs, etc. The whole philosophy of his Zebra factory presets seems more about a highly generic bread-n-butter approach to a stock library, which kinda makes sense, but even on that 'basic functionality' level, they aren't very good, imho. His more involved patches (textured pads and sequences and whatnot) are never particularly worthwhile either, again imho of course. This was the main reason I was turned off by ZebraHZ; I liked the batman film concept, but saw that HS was involved and thought 'the last thing I need is a bunch more HS presets I'll never touch." Fwiw, Michael Kastrup and Arksun have made some of the best Zebra presets I've heard: truly inspiring stuff.

-M
Howards presets need to be played. Using Modwheel, Breath and AT and they often do interesting stuff... he also makes good use of velocity and key scaling. It may be that his style does not appeal to you, but his presets are well crafted.

I think the Batman presets are worth the price of the soundset, but I got it mostly for the included features... Diva filters (minus the filter FM), that excellent resonator (love that module) and per channel compressors...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Meh on the compressor, I'm saying that before hearing it, but I guess I just have so many decent ones stocked up another really great recreation of a classic with extra twists just sits right next to Nomad, PSP and Fabfilter ones on my HD looking like filler. :x

Granular synthesis would be something really welcome from the 'no aliasing' camp U-He belong to. 8)

Mostly though I'm excited for the super saw synth and Zebra 3.