U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by mholloway » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 am

I don't think the question is Hive being better -- the issue is it being On Par with sylenth (which you guys seem to think it is) -- and therefore Hive being the option that has 1. 64bit support on Mac and 2. a company that actually updates regularly and communicates constantly with its user base.

In which case, Hive = Better :lol:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:43 pm

mholloway wrote:I don't think the question is Hive being better -- the issue is it being On Par with sylenth (which you guys seem to think it is) -- and therefore Hive being the option that has 1. 64bit support on Mac and 2. a company that actually updates regularly and communicates constantly with its user base.

I dunno, I don't use Sylenth, so I cannot say for certain and nor do I care which is "better". I have heard it in various forms though (patch demos, youtube, music that uses it etc), and it sounds great. So does Hive.

I've had to remove myself from the pointless discussions over at KVR comparing Sylenth and Hive ad nauseam though, because I think most people fail to realise that it's not the bloody synth (in the context of quality VSTs) - it's the user, amount of practice and talent, arrangement, instrumentation, actual music, and production etc that'll make for poor or good tracks. I'd love to do some double blind tests using similarly-built supersaws from Zebra, Dune, Spire, Hive, etc in the same compositions. That'll be a right laugh - seeing how everyone will fail to know which is which.

Basically I couldn't care less about which sounds like what, it's completely irrelevant. What I DO care about, is that Hive's workflow is fantastic. Of course it sounds amazing too. Effortless stuff - I love it, and am buying it immediately comes payday.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 pm

tedlogan wrote:

I've had to remove myself from the pointless discussions over at KVR comparing Sylenth and Hive ad nauseam though, because I think most people fail to realise that it's not the bloody synth (in the context of quality VSTs) - it's the user, amount of practice and talent, arrangement, instrumentation, actual music, and production etc that'll make for poor or good tracks.
Everybody does know that, though. They discuss and compare the synths anyway because they're deeply into synths, and want to talk about them. What's the issue with that? The debate over there isn't 'what makes a good track,' its 'how do these instruments stack up, what makes them good, what makes them bad, etc.' Not exactly shocking material for a web forum built to discuss virtual instruments.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:30 pm

mholloway wrote:
tedlogan wrote:

I've had to remove myself from the pointless discussions over at KVR comparing Sylenth and Hive ad nauseam though, because I think most people fail to realise that it's not the bloody synth (in the context of quality VSTs) - it's the user, amount of practice and talent, arrangement, instrumentation, actual music, and production etc that'll make for poor or good tracks.
Everybody does know that, though. They discuss and compare the synths anyway because they're deeply into synths, and want to talk about them. What's the issue with that? The debate over there isn't 'what makes a good track,' its 'how do these instruments stack up, what makes them good, what makes them bad, etc.' Not exactly shocking material for a web forum built to discuss virtual instruments.
Yes, yes indeed you are right. I suppose I'm just sometimes getting annoyed with certain types of posts moaning about the most ridiculous things regarding features and minutiae of sound which is ultimately completely inconsequential. I do like the discussions in general.

deva

Post by deva » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:40 pm

mholloway wrote:I don't think the question is Hive being better -- the issue is it being On Par with sylenth (which you guys seem to think it is) -- and therefore Hive being the option that has 1. 64bit support on Mac and 2. a company that actually updates regularly and communicates constantly with its user base.

There are some presets in Sylenth that are so lovely... It has some fine character. The thing I have not liked about Sylenth is the low end. Always sounds weak to me... but the shimmery high end is really good. Hive, I was immediately impressed with the low end.

I also don't have much interest in the which is better discussion. It is pretty subjective anyway. What I can say is that Hive succeeds in its stated objective. Low CPU, Fast workflow, good quality sound and supersaws!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 pm

... and when you mention it: Sylenth1's preset system is its biggest weakness, in my opinion. The whole hardware imitation thing is such an outdated concept. Then again, it was probably still in vogue back when Sylenth was last updated... :P

login

Post by login » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 am

Hi,

I just finished the first version, still a work in progress. I think menus need refiment for proper selection but it is usable. Also, no mapping still.

Download at: https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/546/

Or http://www.mediafire.com/download/79zmf ... ivev1.jzml

I will add Global, arp/seq, effects modulation sections and mapping after xmas.

Happy holidays!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 am

^ Wha' dat? Looks great! Is it a M4L for Hive thingy?

So far Hive sounds like a cross between Zebra, Sylenth, and the useable aspects of Bazille. A great mix! Some of the sounds are amazing. The effects sound great too.

I do prefer the overall sound of Sylenth - more juicier/organic. Hive still sounds a bit digital and bright. Lots of Shhhhhhh overlays on many sounds. But the Shhhhh doesn't sound horrible (i.e. it's better than Serum, IMO). So if the preset organisation is going to be good, I'll buy it. Definitely the preset organisation in Sylenth was the worst thing about it.

Hope someone comes out with a good tutorial video for Hive. People keep saying it's easy and obvious, but I don't have a clue. I have a rough idea of Sylenth, and I found Zebra to be engaging, but not getting Hive so far.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:24 pm

HIVE Tutorial by AiynZahevSounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:01 pm

I dl'ed the beta to have a go, though I should say up front dance music is not my style.

The amount of modulation possibilities is huge, with 12 slots each with source, shaper and two destinations. Then the sequencer can be a modulator, too. The well-endowed effect section is unusual for a u-he synth. A lot of sound design capability there, way beyond what I recall Sylenth offering.

It's a real departure form previous synths being so narrowly focused. I'm sure you could use it for mainstream VA duties, but then why not buy Diva or ACE instead (esp. since ACE is so cheap).

If in your face, aggressive sounds are your thing you should really try the beta. It's free and anything you can create can be saved for reuse in the real version when it becomes available.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue May 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Cool new video of the Hive: https://youtu.be/pk4ex-yagls
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Tue May 19, 2015 5:51 pm

doghouse wrote: I'm sure you could use it for mainstream VA duties, but then why not buy Diva or ACE instead (esp. since ACE is so cheap).
Hive uses far less processor than either of those, so I've heard. I've had 18 tracks of Hive plus one audio track without going over about 25% on my i5 with 16 GB RAM. It has become my go-to synth and even works well in Live 9 Suite on my Asus T100TA convertible laptop/tablet, which is low-powered and only has 2GB of RAM.
Garry Knight

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue May 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Garry Knight wrote:Hive uses far less processor than either of those, so I've heard. I've had 18 tracks of Hive plus one audio track without going over about 25% on my i5 with 16 GB RAM. It has become my go-to synth and even works well in Live 9 Suite on my Asus T100TA convertible laptop/tablet, which is low-powered and only has 2GB of RAM.
That sounds pretty impressive for a synth with such features.

How well is the T100TA running Live 9 and all the Native Devices, and M4L. I'm also looking for a portable workstation. Live 9 + Hive seems like a perfect combination.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue May 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Hive just got a proper release Its got two skins now blue and orange :) You now have until June 2nd to get it at intro price.

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Tue May 19, 2015 6:31 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
Garry Knight wrote:Hive uses far less processor than either of those, so I've heard. I've had 18 tracks of Hive plus one audio track without going over about 25% on my i5 with 16 GB RAM. It has become my go-to synth and even works well in Live 9 Suite on my Asus T100TA convertible laptop/tablet, which is low-powered and only has 2GB of RAM.
That sounds pretty impressive for a synth with such features.

How well is the T100TA running Live 9 and all the Native Devices, and M4L. I'm also looking for a portable workstation. Live 9 + Hive seems like a perfect combination.
I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. I didn't install M4L as there isn't a great deal of storage on the T100. I set the 64GB micro-SD as the system install drive but still only have 5 GB on drive C: as Live insisted on installing there. I don't know why; Studio One had no problem instaling on D:.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend the T100 as a portable workstation. I'm only going to use it to put together initial music ideas while on the go, though from my recent experiments in playback of tracks that were developed on my PC, I expect to get over 10 tracks plus effects before any glitching. One of my pieces had 15 tracks using various synths and effects and played back without glitches, though it did hit 90% CPU.

If I had the money, I'd go for the Surface 3 Pro. Or even the Surface 3. In fact, I wish I could afford the Surface 4 when it comes out. :-)
Garry Knight