U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crystalmsc

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 am

Garry Knight wrote:In any case, I wouldn't recommend the T100 as a portable workstation. I'm only going to use it to put together initial music ideas while on the go, though from my recent experiments in playback of tracks that were developed on my PC, I expect to get over 10 tracks plus effects before any glitching. One of my pieces had 15 tracks using various synths and effects and played back without glitches, though it did hit 90% CPU.

If I had the money, I'd go for the Surface 3 Pro. Or even the Surface 3. In fact, I wish I could afford the Surface 4 when it comes out. :-)
Thank you for your brief answer, sure the Surface is on the list. But I'm using my laptop for a more intensive work. I'm looking for a portable workstation for a more relaxing musical activity, sounds like the T100 is more than enough. But I'm looking at the T100 Chi right now.

How do you like working with Live and Hive using the touch screen?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 20, 2015 1:24 pm

XSIMan wrote:Hive just got a proper release Its got two skins now blue and orange :) You now have until June 2nd to get it at intro price.

Sweet. Full version out. :)

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 pm

crystalmsc wrote:How do you like working with Live and Hive using the touch screen?
I used it for a couple of hours today. It's tricky using the touch screen with Live. Clicking and dragging the rulers (arrangement or clip timelines) causes them to move so far so quickly that it's difficult to get back to where you're trying to get to. And while you can create MIDI clips, rename them, and assign colours, putting notes down is nigh impossible. I was going back and forth between the touch screen and the touchpad a lot. Some things are faster with the touch screen, and some things are impossible.

I managed to get a 32-bar track with Sonic Academy's Kick plus a drum loop, and three instances of Hive supplying bass, pad, and pluck, and the CPU didn't go much over 50%. Hive has its own onboard effects, which saves on loading the CPU with Ableton's effects. And if I start getting glitches, I can just freeze the tracks and, after syncing back to my PC, unfreeze them to do further work on them.

Hopefully the next version of Live (some time around 2050?) will be touch-capable. At the moment you have to keep the kayboard/trackpad connected. I've just downloaded Studio One version 3 (just came out today) and that looks to be much more touch-capable, though it also seems heavier on the CPU than Live. But then it has many features missing from Live and I'm looking to maximize my use of the strengths of each DAW.
Garry Knight

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Desktop applications need to be optimized for touch screens to work well.

But hey, as soon as Microsoft pushed their half-baked desktop OS with a touch screen slapped on it developers aren’t going to be in any rush to optimize their software. Enjoy your “kind of works in a buggy way” experience. :|

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 pm

beats me wrote:Desktop applications need to be optimized for touch screens to work well.

But hey, as soon as Microsoft pushed their half-baked desktop OS with a touch screen slapped on it developers aren’t going to be in any rush to optimize their software. Enjoy your “kind of works in a buggy way” experience. :|
I've enjoyed that experience since I installed Live 9 :D
Garry Knight

avart

Post by avart » Wed May 20, 2015 6:33 pm

a black, grey & blue Hive-inspired Ableton Live-skin would be interesting, I think.... Has anyone seen one?

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed May 20, 2015 7:10 pm

avart wrote:a black, grey & blue Hive-inspired Ableton Live-skin would be interesting, I think.... Has anyone seen one?
Hive version 1 (released yesterday) has an optional skin with far too much orange in it. Maybe they wanted to match Live's default skin.
Garry Knight

avart

Post by avart » Wed May 20, 2015 7:53 pm

Garry Knight wrote:
avart wrote:a black, grey & blue Hive-inspired Ableton Live-skin would be interesting, I think.... Has anyone seen one?
Hive version 1 (released yesterday) has an optional skin with far too much orange in it. Maybe they wanted to match Live's default skin.
Yeah, I read that above - but I meant the other way around; a skin for Ableton Live.
I would try my favorite DAW in original Hive-colour! A bit Tron-inspired too, I guess...

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed May 20, 2015 8:07 pm

avart wrote: Yeah, I read that above - but I meant the other way around; a skin for Ableton Live.
I would try my favorite DAW in original Hive-colour! A bit Tron-inspired too, I guess...
Yes, I realised. Just thought you might like to try orange on orange. :)
Garry Knight

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu May 21, 2015 4:47 am

Garry Knight wrote:Hopefully the next version of Live (some time around 2050?) will be touch-capable. At the moment you have to keep the kayboard/trackpad connected. I've just downloaded Studio One version 3 (just came out today) and that looks to be much more touch-capable, though it also seems heavier on the CPU than Live. But then it has many features missing from Live and I'm looking to maximize my use of the strengths of each DAW.
Ha3..let's see the development of Live on Windows 10, I believe that it's going support touch device better. I used to be a Sonar user and thinking to get the artist version, which is not far from the Platinum in term of the sequencer features. It has the best touch support so far, but somehow still prefer for being able to use Live and the native devices. Thanks again for your brief answer, I have a better picture now. Seems like the T100 Chi will do it for me or may be wait a bit for the Windows 10 version. The Studio One V3 looks dope though!

As for the skin, it's more into Bitwig than Live to me. Pity that U-he has a better relationship with Bitwig, may be they will do more cooperation in the future. If they ever release Hive as a native device, it's going to be a dangerous move.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:44 am

I'm really in the mood for Uhbik-X right now. As much as I like Trash 2, the more I want it.

Wish to hear any update about it, along with the Berlin Modular.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:44 pm

So for ambient pads which would it be DIva , Zebra or Alchemy?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Don't know Diva and Alchemy well, but with those Multi-Stage Envelope generators, Zebra is great for pads.

florian_bl

Post by florian_bl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I don't know Alchemy but work a lot with DIVA and Zebra 2. From these two, Zebra would be my go to synth for pads. The nearly endless possibilities to modulate things are what makes it so usefull.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:36 am

tintala wrote:So for ambient pads which would it be DIva , Zebra or Alchemy?
For me it's Alchemy, because I love samples for those type of pads and the sample mangling ability in Alchemy is great. Also the additive part is amazing for pads.