U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by deva » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:22 am

Martin Gifford wrote: http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive23.mp3

That sounded Bazille-ish or maybe draigathar/deva-ish?
yeah, deva-ish

Hive sounds different than Bazille... softer, more inviting and definitely easier to use.

I find Hive clean and clear... with a sweet friendly sound. Here's another:

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive24.mp3

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:38 am

deva wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote: http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive23.mp3

That sounded Bazille-ish or maybe draigathar/deva-ish?
yeah, deva-ish

Hive sounds different than Bazille... softer, more inviting and definitely easier to use.

I find Hive clean and clear... with a sweet friendly sound. Here's another:

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive24.mp3
I get the same impression so far.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 am

Hive - first public beta is available!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427734

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 am

It's no DIVA but no other u-he synth can do the supersaw thing with lots of different waveform shapes the proper JP-8000 kind of way. I like it as a clean more features alternative to DIVA's JP-8000 module. I bought it for £54 British pounds using the coupon I feel guilty getting it for so cheap. Price will go up sometime after release. You cant get the coupon anymore.

No manual for it yet to start making your own presets I would suggest downloading the DIVA manual and reading up on the Digital osc module which is a simulation of the one in the Roland JP-8000. HIVE is its own synth so not a JP-8000 clone but I think it's partially based on what secrets Urs unlocked from the study of it. It will give you an idea on the supersaw and how u-he likes to do things.
Last edited by XSIMan on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 am

Urs said in the forum

"On the audible side they don't really have much in common. Hive's filters are more like Bazilles, and the oscillators are like, hmm, ACE LFO2 with tap map option plus unison. The envelopes are coded from ground up. In "Dirty" mode you get classical exponential ones, in "Clean" you get the same with linear attack and in "Normal" you get a trick I saw elsewhere to avoid clicks and get more punch. Even the ModMatrix is new, and unlike Zebra's it can exceed parameter ranges when possible. So you can often "stack up" in Hive, which isn't possible in Zeebs."

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Hive = delicious. what a beautiful synth, with many many sweetspots, and extremely easy to program. Wow.

Thick and tight bottom end, and of course the swarm of saw waves are most pleasing in the myriad ways you can get it out of this synth. CPU usage is extremely low. Interface is a joy to work with.

I'm not into EDM/trance/house etc (which is the target market I guess), but I love a lot of electronic music, and this synth compliments Bazille and Zebra wonderfully.

I love it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 am

^^^ Agreed, I'm definitely buying this synth. Not into Trance or EDM, but I do like driving music with heavy rhythms, Hive can do that as well. Very glad Urs added in noise on all Osc's, already using that feature. 8)

Everything sounds exceptionally good, FX, filters etc. The routing is dead easy, and I'm a fan of the look.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:30 am

Machinesworking wrote:^^^ Agreed, I'm definitely buying this synth. Not into Trance or EDM, but I do like driving music with heavy rhythms, Hive can do that as well. Very glad Urs added in noise on all Osc's, already using that feature. 8)

Everything sounds exceptionally good, FX, filters etc. The routing is dead easy, and I'm a fan of the look.
Agreed on everything. It really is a wonderful piece of software. I'm smiling a lot today :D

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 pm

It's ideal for trance but you can easily pull off great music for space games and 80s pads. It only goes obvious trance or EDM when you detune too much and you don't have to detune if you don't want to.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 pm

XSIMan wrote:It's ideal for trance but you can easily pull off great music for space games and 80s pads. It only goes obvious trance or EDM when you detune too much and you don't have to detune if you don't want to.
Yup, but I'd say you can make any music with any synth really. Though trying to make blue-collar gritty acoustic folk-blues with subtractive synthesis might not come out as expected.

Anyway, I was up til 7 in the morning last night unable to tear myself away from Hive. Effortless programming. Woke up at 11 and rushed to get back to it. The bees' motherfuckin knees. And wings.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 pm

I really love the step-input recorder on the sequencer.. haven't seen that before!

Also the simple controls for selecting what elements go into each Filter are awesome, and way more intuitive than Sylenth's filter routing (which wasn't hard once understood, but wasn't exactly intuitive, either). This is perfect: just select everything you want the filter to receive, and done.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:17 pm

mholloway wrote:I really love the step-input recorder on the sequencer.. haven't seen that before!

Also the simple controls for selecting what elements go into each Filter are awesome, and way more intuitive than Sylenth's filter routing (which wasn't hard once understood, but wasn't exactly intuitive, either). This is perfect: just select everything you want the filter to receive, and done.
Yes, I was quite happy when I saw the recorder. So useful.

The Filter routing is brilliantly simple. I think what makes this synth stand out most for me is the super-quick workflow.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:55 pm

2x HIVE DEMO
2X HIVE Pluck & Supersaw Pad
https://soundcloud.com/l_m_a/kernonite

Two presets I made with u-he HIVE Preview and a song that came out of my ass a few hours ago.
All HIVE's effects used apart from reverb. Saturation and reverb is a bit too much. Can be fixed I might replace it with a cleaner version when I have time.

Third Party effects used
Cytomic The Drop, for the filter sweep.
Valhalla Room, reverb
Slate VMR, VCC, VTM, FG-Red
Soundtoys PanMan

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Hmm... So I played around a bit with Hive last night, but I can't really see - purely from a usability and audio quality point of view - that it will replace Sylenth1. Granted, Sylenth1's status and future development is a haze of another dimension - the complete opposite of U-He's open development process, but as it is, I find Sylenth completely on par.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm

sporkles wrote:Hmm... So I played around a bit with Hive last night, but I can't really see - purely from a usability and audio quality point of view - that it will replace Sylenth1. Granted, Sylenth1's status and future development is a haze of another dimension - the complete opposite of U-He's open development process, but as it is, I find Sylenth completely on par.
I agree. I don't think one sounds better than the other. Besides, in a busier mix no-one on earth will know nor care if Hive or Sylenth was used. Can't speak for Sylenth, but I find Hive a joy to work with. That's its main selling point for me. Plus, only around £62 or so - a steal.