U-he appreciation

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
XSIMan

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by XSIMan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:28 am

DIVA's Digital osc aliases a ton if you turn the HQ mode off.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Meh on the compressor, I'm saying that before hearing it, but I guess I just have so many decent ones stocked up another really great recreation of a classic with extra twists just sits right next to Nomad, PSP and Fabfilter ones on my HD looking like filler. :x
Yeah, I won't be buying it. I've got the beta downloaded and it works great, not too taxing on the CPU, sounds good too. But I just don't want another compressor when I have the Glue as well as the normal compressor in Live. What's the difference really gonna be at the end of the track? I really want to stick with keeping my software as minimal as possible, and I'm doing OK so far - just Live, Zebra 2, Satin and Bazille. I will be checking out Hive One definitely and am looking forward to Zebra 3, but Bazille is reaaalllllllyyy keeping me occupied, and will for a long time to come.

Here are some more Bazille patches I'm working on for whoever is interested:

"Positronic Firedance" is two instances of Bazille, one for the toms and the rest for not-the-toms. Pity that soundcloud transcodes to 128kpbs:

https://soundcloud.com/tedtheodorelogan ... tch-design

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:50 pm

tedlogan wrote:but Bazille is reaaalllllllyyy keeping me occupied, and will for a long time to come.
Can be heard from the tracks, well done!
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
tedlogan wrote:but Bazille is reaaalllllllyyy keeping me occupied, and will for a long time to come.
Can be heard from the tracks, well done!
awww :oops: cheers, still learning from the greats hehe...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:36 pm

I've tried the Zebra demo several times over the years, and every time, I'm completely in awe of the sonic possibilities it offers, but I always end up feeling that I'll never get past the "tweak a bunch of parameters and hear what happens" stage. Has anyone been there, and really learnt Zebra to the point where you can really approach it with a more determined mindset, where you don't continually get lost in endless tweaking mode? I mean, I can come up with really usable sounds, but almost exclusively due to happy accidents.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 am

sporkles wrote:I've tried the Zebra demo several times over the years, and every time, I'm completely in awe of the sonic possibilities it offers, but I always end up feeling that I'll never get past the "tweak a bunch of parameters and hear what happens" stage. Has anyone been there, and really learnt Zebra to the point where you can really approach it with a more determined mindset, where you don't continually get lost in endless tweaking mode? I mean, I can come up with really usable sounds, but almost exclusively due to happy accidents.
You need to have a sound or type of sound in your head before going into it IMO, otherwise, yes you could get lost. But if you go in that way and continue to learn the different capabilities...it's an incredible synth - especially if you get ZebraHZ/Dark Zebra with the Diva filters.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:15 pm

u-he Hive a supersaws focused synth is coming out in December.
It might just be DIVA's JP-8000 made less CPU hungry or maybe it's a brand new synth.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 am

Urs interview in German, with a mention of a drum machine in the future http://youtu.be/061AFej_cHs

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Hive One

"Also, as of today, 16 voices wit 32 sawtooths + 2 lowpass filters each on my machine:

Hive: 13%
The other synth: 27%"

Urs Heckman

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

finally, the translation of the interview in English.
XSIMan wrote:Hive One

"Also, as of today, 16 voices wit 32 sawtooths + 2 lowpass filters each on my machine:

Hive: 13%
The other synth: 27%"

Urs Heckman
Sounds great!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:39 am

If you fill in this short survey from u-he you will receive a $25 coupon in a few weeks that will last a month (I think).

http://www.u-he.com/cms/157-u-he-customer-survey

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:09 am

tedlogan wrote:If you fill in this short survey from u-he you will receive a $25 coupon in a few weeks that will last a month (I think).

http://www.u-he.com/cms/157-u-he-customer-survey
this practically will lowered the intro price of the Hive One, fair move!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:57 pm

The latest updates about the Hive from Urs.

"The architecture is very simple, almost obscenely average:

2 osc, 2 subosc, 2 multimode filters, 4 envelopes, 2 lfos, 8 effects

Every parameter is accessible on a single page. No tabbing. In comparison to, say, the S-synths, we have stripped down two of the four oscillators to suboscillators. These are however essentially as capable as the normal oscillators, but they inherit settings from their master oscillator. This allows us to reduce the number of knobs dramatically while keeping the sonic flexibility pretty much on par with the usual suspects.

No quality settings (unless sound design / beta testing proves the requirement).

After analysis of a gazillion presets for S... we figure that 6 Mod-Matrices with optional via-source and two targets each are plenty. If more are desired we need to tab the interface. Mind you, LFOs and Envelopes have dedicated targets in the osc and filter sections already - there's a lot of modulation possible without using any modulation matrix, e.g. filters have an env depth knob and envelopes have a velocity parameter.

Effects can be reordered and their parameters are available in the ModMatrix

No voice stacking, but up to 64 sawtooth oscillators per voice. On my Mac Pro Hive can do 5000 sawtooth oscillators - per core. That's more than twice as much as S, and about 20% more than the most CPU-efficient synth I've demoed. We're contemplating to allow for 32 or even 64 voice polyphony (not sure if our voice management code needs tweaking)

There's more bits and even some fairly unique stuff. I'm still working on it, hence I can't really speak out too much. Can't wait to share though." 

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:53 am

I just hope the Hive sounds as good as, or better than, Sylenth (no digital harshness). And the filing system makes sense. And it looks good.

As for the drum machine, I hope they get that right cos I'm gasping for a good drum machine. It's amazing how hard it is to find a good one. The main thing it needs is a logical filing plus excellent, original, modern, and futuristic sounds. Hopefully, it looks good and is easy to use too. (I could design something really efficient on paper, but couldn't do the programming, so I don't know why experts can't do better).

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:00 pm

to Martin Gifford:
I'm also interested in their drum machine which may be released one day.
Even though I'm quite happy with many sounds I'm getting from currently available drum VSTs.

Could you list some features which could be most improved compared to what is available?