Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zubben

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Post by Zubben » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:29 am

Well not sure if this one was already mentioned before or if it is actually obscure or not, but I find it very useful when building my live sets.

You normally can't copy/paste the clips in session view from an ableton project to another. But if you do Copy and then without closing the project but straight away opening the one where you want to paste, you can actually paste on that one.

HorusProject

Post by HorusProject » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am

Zubben wrote:You normally can't copy/paste the clips in session view from an ableton project to another. But if you do Copy and then without closing the project but straight away opening the one where you want to paste, you can actually paste on that one.
You can drag tracks and clips, from other projects, from the browser windo into new projects as well.
Kaon Flux

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 am

This is a good one - I found this as a tip to help rebuild broken projects - you add the tracks 1 at a time from the browser and as HorusProject pointed out I think it can be used as a creative tool to reuse tracks you like between projects with all the effects and stuff.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 am

funken wrote:
Zubben wrote:Well not sure if this one was already mentioned before or if it is actually obscure or not, but I find it very useful when building my live sets.

You normally can't copy/paste the clips in session view from an ableton project to another. But if you do Copy and then without closing the project but straight away opening the one where you want to paste, you can actually paste on that one.
How do you open a new one without closing the old one? Two versions of Live?
You can copy any track, Audio or Midi, or FX rack etc, open a new live set, and paste these straight into the new set.

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Sibanger wrote:
funken wrote:
Zubben wrote:Well not sure if this one was already mentioned before or if it is actually obscure or not, but I find it very useful when building my live sets.

How do you open a new one without closing the old one? Two versions of Live?
You can copy any track, Audio or Midi, or FX rack etc, open a new live set, and paste these straight into the new set.
What he said. Instead of closing the project, straight away open the next one where you want to paste. It will keep what you copied before and will still close the previously opened as usual.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 pm

timday wrote:You can enable mapping macros to siblings in a rack by messing with the options.txt file.
I didn't discover this (it was Garyboozy in this thread, second post, which has the details) but it's worth repeating.
Just did a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmS0d7-BRM

P.S.: Don't make the type of the file "text encoded" like I do on the video as that might cause some unwanted characters in the beginning of the line after saving – go for simple "text" instead.

tintala

Post by tintala » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm

PRess cntrl M to detach mixer (or was it session view) to it's own screen.....

juss kiddn. killer thread though. :mrgreen:

merges

Post by merges » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 pm

(Probably in the manual but never read it; found by accident.)

When dragging multiple audio clips into a set, they normally will be dropped into sequential slots (session view) or sequentially along the timeline (arrangement view). If you hold down the Command key (on Mac), they will "flip" to be arranged parallel to one another on adjacent tracks.

Nifty.

P.S. This is the kind of stuff that makes Live full of icing, as in icing on the cake.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am

Edit the pad you last triggered in a drum rack:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184938&p=1436385#p1436385

This makes me want to plug in my remote sl mkii ! Mmmmmm parameterssss

Ste_clectic

Post by Ste_clectic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm sure a lot of you already know this but I only foud out recently.

Make sure you are is session view and enter midi/key map mode. You'll notice a set of controls appear on the far right of the screen (up, down, play etc).

Mapping these to a controller lets you scroll through, launch and stop scenes as well as navigating through your set. Great for DJs.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Found this one out the other day by accident....if you are renaming a bunch of clips on a track in Session View, you don't have to hit Control + R for each one, just rename the first one then hit the up/down arrow & the next clip automatically goes into renaming mode. Saved me a bunch of keystrokes as I usually make a bunch of variations on a single slip & then rename them all.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 pm

This secetion is great,for begginers,like me just starting to unravel and work within Live, and established users of Live
:D

Maybe it could be a sticky section,like a kind of tool box,then we will all learn nifty tips n tricks?

Great to see a lot of members coming forward with their knowledge

The show the hierarchy menue is a great time saver

Im going to post a did you know that ,( something that I found out,maybe someone has already beaten me to this,lol

Did you know of the delay plug ins hidden menu? Ok grab a ping pong delay or simple delay ,right click ,the menu pops up.At the bottom,is 3 options Re pitch,Fade and Jump

I haven't worked with these yet,but I bet Repitch could be handy for a tape delay effect,if worked out :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 pm

funken wrote:You're not supposed to tell people about repitch! It's one of my secret weapons!
Awww bollocks ,did you have a patent on it then ,ha,ha!! :D I found this by mistake,

How this re pitch thing work then? :D

PM me please Funken,Id like to know,he,he
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

ok, so here a trick with looper. If you have a looper set to e.g. 8 bars and activate it, and then you it the big button again after two bars, your just made loop will be pitched down and slow somehow. i only found out this morning when playing with my looper rack

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm

audition from warp/transient markers before slicing (works in arrange view only):

In the clip view (via Arrange) you can use the arrow keys skips to move the selection marker across the sample, snapping to grid. cool. but holding 'alt' while arrowing will jump to the next transient rather than the grid position. cooler! you can now alt-space to audition from the marker, and can even alt-shift-arrow to select and play the area between 2 markers, effectively giving you slice audition feature. a bit fiddly but works.