All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 pm 

funken wrote:
Jekblad wrote:
iKey

nice discovery! I've got it opening the browser, hiding clip view, and opening my samples folder for me, all in one keystroke!

Good stuff. too bad live 9's browser doesn't work the same way...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 am 

WOW
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I really slept on this thread... I thought I knew a hell of a lot about Live... Boy was I mistaken. You guys are like Ableton GODS. Thank you guys for all this new info I'm learning! I'm feeling like a noob all over. I gotta go try out all this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 am 

In midi editor

Click a note then press shift + up or down and the note gets transposed 1 octave up or down

Not sure if this one's been said or common knowledge - I use it a lot when I'm trying to build chords

Music

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 pm 

You can use Hot Swap as a fourth sample directory.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm 

wayfinder wrote:

how?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 pm 

In the midi editor, Fn ▼▲ does a quick scroll up and down, moving the field of view by an octave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:36 pm 

When trying to precisely select some time with the grid off, to chop audio, you can tweak the edge of selected time by shift dragging from just outside the selected time. Use a locator to mark your target point.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:40 pm 

With the grid on or off, alt ►◀ jumps to the next locator or the next point where audio has been chopped, or where a clip starts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:57 am 

funken wrote:
wayfinder wrote:

how?

You treat it no different than the other directory icons... it's not that complicated :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:07 am 

ah yeah, see what you mean. Sloulda tried before posting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm 

Hey everyone, so I just discovered you can side chain effects to each other ( ableton compressor / ect. ) in an instrument rack and then FREEZE it! I had a drum sequence and bass in the chain. I would imagine this works for drum racks as well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm 

wayfinder wrote:

also - tip from Cpt. Obvious - You may open projects and sessions from a lat-ctrl-B level, and use the hot-swap browser to look for sessions as well. :D

and for modulation/sampling freaks.

one of the most powerfull modulation effects is setting the sample warp mode to texture and tuning it by adjusting grain size (usually wokrs best around 1-50) with flux set around 1-5.

You may go for this trick with grain delay as well: set delay to 1ms, dry/wet 100%, pitch -12, and use the frequency to tune the modulated sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm 

I think I have a big one.
I use Live extensively for years, but I just discovered this one. Sorry for those who already know this one, it just changed my life, it's especially useful for sound design/ sound editing to video.
By midi mapping a clip's volume and transpose button like this:

you have access to the volume and the transpose of the SELECTED clip, not just the one you've mapped.
Of course you can save the mapping within your default set, and without the need to have a clip in it just for the mapping. Just put a clip in a track, go to its clip view, midi map. You can now delete the clip. Check with a cmd-m... the mapping is still here!

One less mouse action needed, audio editing goes sooooo much faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm 

Big one? It's huge! Even works on a clip on a new track! I'll make it a tip of the month for sure, and will credit you.

Try combining this with keymapping track select status. The track has to be playing, but it's useful.

Last edited by Funk N. Furter on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

I was not aware that you could map filter/EQ frequency ranges to keyboard ranges and get harmonic results. I quess I should have suspected from looking at the logarithmic graphic they always use.

Example:
Map A1-A3 to cutoff freq of bandpass filter. Set range to 880 - 3520.

Result is, every key that you press inbetween moves the filter to standard tuning frequencies.

Does not work with Delay effect.. I really want to be able to 'play' the delay musically without having to use Resonator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next