Page 11 of 13

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 pm
by Luis Lz
Angstrom wrote:There are some things in Ableton Live that I think only three people know about.

Here's one: The rack Hierarchy view, right click the little Rack Overview and receive a menu which will allow you to quickly jump to any instrument, or effect within the rack.

It's very useful when dealing with complex racks, but almost nobody knows about it.

Image

So what obscure Ableton Function do you think most people do not know?

Why does your ableton live looks too very well?

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 pm
by Internet Culture
Mapping a note to the chain selector allows you to increment the chain by one every time you press that note :)

Image

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:05 am
by Phillis
Image

Use the Scale in EQ Eight to work transitions out (e.g. in the kick drum) and duplicate the EQ Eight (e.g. to the bass), set the Scale to -100% and you perfectly reduce the freguncies which you make bigger in the kick drum.
Great for making sounds works together! :)

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 am
by attack or decay
pressing b works wonders

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 pm
by nebulae
Necrojacking Steve's thread from 2004. Love it!

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 am
by Exie
There are peak level meters in session view, but they are limited to track output, and there's none in arrangement view.

Rarely claimed External Audio device can be used to measure peak level anywhere within the chain. Set Dry/Wet to 0:

Image

Note: Ableton peak level meters ignore weak signals (-120db or so).

Note 2: due to how External Audio works, it introduces a delay that is equal to audio device input+output buffers. Depending on the project or audio device settings, may be unsuitable to have it permanently in the chain.

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:18 pm
by oratowsky
Exie wrote:There are peak level meters in session view, but they are limited to track output, and there's none in arrangement view.

Rarely claimed External Audio device can be used to measure peak level anywhere within the chain. Set Dry/Wet to 0:

Image

Note: Ableton peak level meters ignore weak signals (-120db or so).
amazing tip! I use ozone insight for this exact little function but external audio will be way easier

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 pm
by Exie
oratowsky wrote:amazing tip! I use ozone insight for this exact little function but external audio will be way easier
I enjoy it as well. The important thing I forgot to mention is that it introduces a delay. Not a big deal if you don't have latency problems but should be kept in mind. I usually drop it sporadically to a track for a check and then remove when I don't need it.

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 am
by Stromkraft
Exie wrote:I forgot to mention is that it introduces a delay. Not a big deal if you don't have latency problems but should be kept in mind.
Given free meter tools without a delay, like FreeG and some Max For Live ones…

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 pm
by spendthrift2
I thought this video was truly intuitive. It's very brief, and teaches you how to use the chord tool and the arpeggiator tool in Ableton (don't know which version, but both are featured in 10 Suite and in the video). Very useful video for making some EDM sounds! :P

EDIT: I guess I'd better insert the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFS9k7n5mdk

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm
by Justin Maribito
How about automating Live sessions?

Using Next/First/Start etc, using these to create endless sort of modulations?

Feels a lot like VCV Rack.

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 pm
by Sierrah's
Valiumdupeuple wrote:I think I have a big one.
I use Live extensively for years, but I just discovered this one. Sorry for those who already know this one, it just changed my life, it's especially useful for sound design/ sound editing to video.
By midi mapping a clip's volume and transpose button like this:
Image

you have access to the volume and the transpose of the SELECTED clip, not just the one you've mapped.
Of course you can save the mapping within your default set, and without the need to have a clip in it just for the mapping. Just put a clip in a track, go to its clip view, midi map. You can now delete the clip. Check with a cmd-m... the mapping is still here!

One less mouse action needed, audio editing goes sooooo much faster.
The image link showing how to map volume and transpose is dead. An anyone assist?

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 pm
by pottering
Sierrah's wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:I think I have a big one.
I use Live extensively for years, but I just discovered this one. Sorry for those who already know this one, it just changed my life, it's especially useful for sound design/ sound editing to video.
By midi mapping a clip's volume and transpose button like this:
Image

you have access to the volume and the transpose of the SELECTED clip, not just the one you've mapped.
Of course you can save the mapping within your default set, and without the need to have a clip in it just for the mapping. Just put a clip in a track, go to its clip view, midi map. You can now delete the clip. Check with a cmd-m... the mapping is still here!

One less mouse action needed, audio editing goes sooooo much faster.
The image link showing how to map volume and transpose is dead. An anyone assist?
I think it refers to simply MIDI assigning (ctrl+M) the Clip Gain slider and Transpose knob in any Audio Clip to a knob in a MIDI controller. It will work for any Clip you have selected, not only that single Clip.

https://patches.zone/blog/2016/8/18/mid ... p-controls

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm
by Sierrah's
pottering wrote:I think it refers to simply MIDI assigning (ctrl+M) the Clip Gain slider and Transpose knob in any Audio Clip to a knob in a MIDI controller. It will work for any Clip you have selected, not only that single Clip.

https://patches.zone/blog/2016/8/18/mid ... p-controls
Cool, thanks!

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:10 pm
by Danthewoman
Group an instrument rack together for easy panning!

Group the Broken Hi-Hats redux and your normal hi-hats (create a new chain) and lower the wet to -25.0. It makes for great energy to hi-hats!