Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Angstrom

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:38 pm

This is now no longer the tips thread, it's the timday/filtersweep chat thread.

well done guys

timday

Post by timday » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 am

filtersweep wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 pm
Well all I can say is I've messed about with it this evening and it seems to work fine for me as long as the grid snapping is on and that it's the fixed grid. And won't really work in a useful way when the grid is switched off completely.
Final tidy up of the chat thread :D

Looking at the key commands the weirdness is a PC/Mac thing.
On a PC (which you are on I assume because you're talking about ctrl) bypassing the grid is alt, and this function uses ctrl, so they don't interfere with each other.
On a Mac (which I'm on) bypassing the grid is cmd, and this function also uses cmd, so they interfere with each other and you have to start with the grid off so cmd turns it on again.

huh.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm

two things that have come up recently.

MIDI assign Scene Launch, Scene Up, Scene Down and Scene Select (encoder based).
they only appear when you hit ctrl-m and show up on the right side of the GUI in the middle.

Assign twos compliment, signed bit, absolute, relative etc controls to Live
this tiny screen only opens at the very bottom left of the Live GUI when the control is assigned.
found a post
little-scale.blogspot.com/2016/07/ableton-live-and-high-resolution-midi.html

but there's this caveat:
TLW wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:55 pm
Yep, Live can handle 14 bit MIDI, though not very elegantly as it separates the LSB and MSM out so it looks like two CC commands rather than one.

Handling and displaying 14 bit MIDI the same way as pitch bend (which is what Sonar did/does) is much easier to work with.

The real problem is that there aren’t many synths, hardware or software, that speak 14 bit MIDI and if a synth only understands 7 bit CC values, 0-127, then the controller having finer graduation is redundant. No matter how many values the controller can send the synth’s filters etc. will still only have 128 steps.

Select All Track Content
only appears when you right click on a track title and it has no shortcut.
(I just recently found this, dunno if it's common knowledge.)

another tip-
to find pretty boxes to post into the forum do a google IMAGE search on things like "Ableton MIDI assign Scene Launch", this also leads to a LOT of quick tips and tricks tutorials. btw thanks to those sites for hosting the images and spreading the love.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

filtersweep

Post by filtersweep » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 pm

I have absolutely no idea what any of that post means.. ?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm

filtersweep wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 pm
post edited.

chill the chat, asked yet another person.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:35 am

Might as well post this here:

If you want a directory in the browser indexed immediately (say, for example, you just put new samples in there and don't want to wait until the program gets around to indexing it eventually, since that can take a while), you can, from within the browser, create a new subdirectory in the place you want indexed (and then delete it again if you like). That will show the newly added files right away.

filtersweep

Post by filtersweep » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm
filtersweep wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 pm
post edited.

chill the chat, asked yet another person.
It makes a lot more sense with the images : )

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:35 am

Why are Live's midi notes numbered one octave lower?
viewtopic.php?p=1181868#p1181868
[nis] wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:19 pm
ark wrote: However, there does not seem to be universal agreement about whether to use C3 or C4 to refer to that note.
That is correct. The only rule is that note number 60 has to be the "middle C", but there is no rule in the MIDI specification to which octave number this "middle C" actually refers to.

FWIW, Sonar uses C5 as the middle C per default. That having said, you can change the middle C reference in Sonar, though.

However, C3 is used by most European software manufacturers.

Best,
Nico

soundcloud.com/tone-deft