a bit of help with ableton live installation...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jennyjo

a bit of help with ableton live installation...

Post by jennyjo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:43 pm

I do apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area about this. But I do hope somebody can offer some help, or direct me in the right place! I recently purchased a saffire pro 40 that came bundled with ableton live lite. I'm having some issues with the installation of the program. This is what is happening:

When I open ableton live lite 8, a yellow box appears at the bottom of the screen. It says:
"The audio engine is off. Please click here to choose an audio device from live's Audio preferences'.

When I click the box to choose this, another pop up opens saying "to enable audio, select an audio device driver and audio output device. You can then configure the individual inputs and outputs using the channel configuration buttons.

I'm then asked to choose 3 options from from drop down boxes under 'AUDIO DEVICE DRIVER TYPE:
1. no audio. 2 MME/DirectX/ 3.Asio......and 3 options from AUDIO DEVICE: 1. no device 2. Asio digidesign software FW005, 3. Asio Saffire.

Under the AUDIO DEVICE DRIVER TYPE, I have selected ASIO.
Under the AUDIO DEVICE, I attempt to select ASIO SAFFIRE....BUT when I do this, I get an error box telling me: failed to open the audio device 'asio saffire'....

Today I even uninstalled the previous installation of ableton live (which I'd installed from a disc included with the hardware), downloaded a new version online with an account I created for this purpose...re-installed the program...and came across the same issue as I originally mentioned, that says: "The audio engine is off. Please click here to choose an audio device from live's Audio preferences'.

I am hoping this is just some very simple thing that has an easy fix. I'm new to Ableton, as I've just switched over from pro tools, since my mbox broke and I purchased the saffire. I also sent an email to the Ableton customer service about this, but it seems maybe they are a bit 'outsourced' and hard to contact...as the only direct phone number I could find was from Germany, and I had to do some detective work online to even find a customer service email for them ;)

Well, hopefully somebody here can help me get it sorted out. And thank you :)
Jennifer Oakley

mrobare

Re: a bit of help with ableton live installation...

Post by mrobare » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:04 am

hi

have you installed asio4all?

you didn't mention if your on windows or apple

it sounds like a driver (asio) might be all you need

and welcome to live 8 forums

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:14 am

jennyjo wrote:I do apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area about this. But I do hope somebody can offer some help, or direct me in the right place! I recently purchased a saffire pro 40 that came bundled with ableton live lite. I'm having some issues with the installation of the program.
Looks like a very nice audio device indeed (checked the website).

Ok, you selected Asio but the question here is: did the Saffire come with its own drivers and if so; did you install those? You didn't really mention this, and I somewhat assume that the Saffire would ship its own ASIO drivers. Its important that you install those before trying to mess with Live (because ASIO provides much better support).

Your mentioning of DirectX makes me assume your on Windows; so another important (but obvious) question: does your sound work at all? You could also try selecting directx for starters to see if that gets you any sound. If it does then you need an ASIO driver. If none was included with the Saffire you should indeed look into Asio4All as the previous poster suggested.

Another common source for problems is 64bit vs 32bit. Live is still 32bit right now (but they're working on it! 8)).

Hope this can help!
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Davo

Post by Davo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:58 am

It sounds like you have not installed the drivers for the Saffire properly, so when you try to use the Saffire in Live it gives an error message. Try uninstalling the Saffire drivers and reinstalling.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:04 am

what about setting the Sapphire to be the default audio playback devices in Windows audio preferences?