Great quality producing and playing music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barezi6

Great quality producing and playing music

Post by barezi6 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:56 am

Hi everyone.

I need a simple help with my doubt.

I am starting producing electronic music and i need to know if i dont have any problem using itunes musics... it is 256kbps m4a, i am new but i need to get the best musics qualities for my mashups, remixes etc, and one day if i use them on a show i want to get great sound quality.

Should i only buy Waf/Aiff or can buy mp3 320 kbps/m4a 256kbps.

Is a really simple question but will help a lot in the future.

Djs/producers with experience with music quality if can give me a answers about this question will be great for my productions in the future

Thanks Community

timothyallan

Re: Great quality producing and playing music

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 am

You want best quality? Wav is best quality, easy! Buy wav.

Davo

Post by Davo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 am

You need to read about audio compression algorithms and lossy versus lossless compression. Mp3 loses data when it compresses the file so it will never be as accurate as the original file of samples.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 am

timothyallan wrote:You want best quality? Wav is best quality, easy! Buy wav.
+1. Plus, if you import mp3's into live, they will be "upconverted" to wav anyway.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:56 am

Yes, what they said. And then the only other thj f you have to worry about is the methods of time stretch/warp :P

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Yes i know about lossless formats, compressions etc, but per exemple great DJs/Producers like david guetta, tiesto, etc what type of format maybe is used to produce and to play on parties, they only use Wav/Aiff? maybe it is only to produce because Wav/Aiff each music have very large data.

And some populares musics is only available on itunes and on itunes musics is 256kbps m4a, is not possible to get this musics in lossless format.

Am i Correct?

Answer all the questions plz and thanks for the help

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Try things. Take risks and learn from experience. That is what others have done. Try to use wav. If you can't, don't. The format Is important to an extent. But having an ear for accommodating and 'setting' something into a mix is even more important. If the energy is good, people will disregard the sound quality. I mean... People have been using vinyl for 50 yrs! Amiright??