mixing for someone else, no control over the stems.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The Carpet Cleaner

mixing for someone else, no control over the stems.

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Hello,

I think the success for a good mix starts at the very begining, in electronic music that would be at the sound design stage.

However, when you do the mix for someone else, you might not have control over what happened before (recording, sound design, arrangment).

So, for mixing engineer, how do you usually proceed, if you face a situation where the mix cannot be enhanced at its maximum because of a problem in sound design or arrangement ?

nuxnamon

Re: mixing for someone else, no control over the stems.

Post by nuxnamon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm

happens to me often.. but then i have to remind myself that I'm just mixing and that's my role.. not gonna stress about the sound design and arrangement cuz i'm not the producer.. most likely they have a different vision of the song and they should cuz it's their song.. Maybe if they gave you some stems which were improperly recorded, clipping, mic bleed, etc.. then you might be able to say something.. but yeah, they probably gave you the song because in their mind it's ready to be mixed (meaning they are totally happy with the sound design and overall production, arrangement of the song).. but that's just my experience.. good luck

The Carpet Cleaner

Re: mixing for someone else, no control over the stems.

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 pm

nuxnamon wrote:happens to me often.. but then i have to remind myself that I'm just mixing and that's my role.. not gonna stress about the sound design and arrangement cuz i'm not the producer.. most likely they have a different vision of the song and they should cuz it's their song.. Maybe if they gave you some stems which were improperly recorded, clipping, mic bleed, etc.. then you might be able to say something.. but yeah, they probably gave you the song because in their mind it's ready to be mixed (meaning they are totally happy with the sound design and overall production, arrangement of the song).. but that's just my experience.. good luck
Cheers mate.

In this case, I just fixed my problem.
There was not enough bass, I mean I could have raised the low EQ to max that would be ugly...

So instead I just detuned one octave lower his Sub bass channel. And now the song is alive. I would say it's not really mixing tho, it's sound design. but it sounds good now :mrgreen: