All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Installed an SSD in my macbook pro - experiences so far
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am 

TomViolenz wrote:
A question: did you check the possibility to use the new FusionDrive technology from Apple (sees both drives as one very large (SSD speed) drive).
Or is that only possible with Macs already delivered with it?

it is possible to set up a Fusion-style setup manually through the command line. the problem with the Fusion setup is that it increases your chances of data loss, since the setup is built around two interdependent drives.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 am 

fishmonkey wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
A question: did you check the possibility to use the new FusionDrive technology from Apple (sees both drives as one very large (SSD speed) drive).
Or is that only possible with Macs already delivered with it?

it is possible to set up a Fusion-style setup manually through the command line. the problem with the Fusion setup is that it increases your chances of data loss, since the setup is built around two interdependent drives.

I have a 2 TB drive for TimeMachine that I connect every couple of days. That should do it, right?!

What do you guys think, is the FusionDrive setup really advantages compared to the boot drive/data drive setup when it comes to a usage scenario of a computer musician?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm 

Tarekith wrote:
I recently bought a Retina MBP, and it's the first computer I've had with an SSD. The difference in just about everything was pretty surprising. I remember trying a reboot in the Apple store when I was debating getting it, and it took around 12-13 seconds. My 2010 MBP at the time was taking I think well over a minute to boot since I got Mtn Lion.

But more than that, it's great in music apps. My Omnisphere presets load almost instantly as fast as I can select a new sound, all while recording and playing back 96k audio. HD meter doesn't even move in....errr.... some other DAW.

Im considering buying the 512gb ssd or a 1tb 7200rpm hd for my macbook pro, i've seen alot of mixed reviews on SSD and music production software so Ive been holding out

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm 

Haven't had any issues with any of my apps in the 8-10 hours I'm in the studio every day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:04 pm 

I'm considering getting a refurbed MacBook Pro and basically doing what glitchrock did, because I have been spoiled by the speed of the Retina SSD MBP I use for work

I really don't want to fork over half a grand for 512GB, but I really want to be able to have all my sample libraries, Komplete, Trilian, etc. in-machine rather than need to carry an external around with me

I am expecting to remove the optical drive and ideally install the platter there as storage, and use the SSD as boot drive. But if I'm following what G-B said, that isn't feasible?

Anybody have any useful information or guides that outline the best way to combine a platter drive+SSD in a MBP?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:13 pm 

Maybe try poking around over on ifixit.com.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:40 am 

Mm, good call - I will take a look over there. Thank ya.