New Novation's Product

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: New Novation's Product

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:57 am

are you really going to do finger drumming with that small pads?

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:51 am

Yes, got problems? I even drumming with my QuNexus.

Drumming with small pads is old, just in case

https://youtu.be/2Ocw_PYwess
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

timday

Post by timday » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:02 am

I know it works as a MIDI controller on top of the synth stuff but does it also work as a Launchpad? Because if so I'm gong to get one of these instead of a Launchpad Pro.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:12 am

timday wrote:I know it works as a MIDI controller on top of the synth stuff but does it also work as a Launchpad? Because if so I'm gong to get one of these instead of a Launchpad Pro.
Currently no it doesn't work as an Ableton specific controller... basically it doesn't have a session mode...

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 am

S4racen wrote:
timday wrote:I know it works as a MIDI controller on top of the synth stuff but does it also work as a Launchpad? Because if so I'm gong to get one of these instead of a Launchpad Pro.
Currently no it doesn't work as an Ableton specific controller... basically it doesn't have a session mode...

Cheers
D
Are the pads pressure sensitive or just velocity?

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:44 am

what i'm mostly and first of all interested in is its sequencer. is it that capable? is there any point of getting that thing just to use it as a midi source for Ableton?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Why not just get a beat step pro and save yourself half the purchase price of the circuit. I think you have to want to use the sounds for it to be worth buying.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:20 pm

oddstep wrote:Why not just get a beat step pro and save yourself half the purchase price of the circuit. I think you have to want to use the sounds for it to be worth buying.
Agreed, it's the sounds that this is for, two Nova Engines...

It's a bonus that it can be used as a sequencer...

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:41 pm

S4racen wrote:
oddstep wrote:Why not just get a beat step pro and save yourself half the purchase price of the circuit. I think you have to want to use the sounds for it to be worth buying.
Agreed, it's the sounds that this is for, two Nova Engines...

It's a bonus that it can be used as a sequencer... And a polyphonic one at that, not sure thats Beatstep territory?

Cheers
D

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:23 pm

I dont get why the jdxi, the korg electribe 2 and this unit all insist on notes being on the 1/16 or 1/32 grid. if they capture knob movement they have a finer grid within the system, so why the hell dont they use it for notes too. they force me to buy an octatrack or the op1, but why??
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Because the OT and the OP-1 are really cool.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 pm

what would you go for tarekith, if you could freely choose between the aforementioned (not minding the price of course)? Or is there something missing in my list? I was just looking at your youtube electribe performance, really nice!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:37 pm

They're all so different, it's hard to say without know what you're looking for. :)

I admired the OP-1's fresh take on things and uniqueness, but ultimately it just didn't provide enough that I expected to use it all that often. Nice to have, but not essential.

The electribe is cool if you get on with it's workflow and limitations, but it's not something I think everyone would bond with. It's capable of a lot, but it really takes a long time (IMVHO) to sculpt things the way I want while not hitting that polyphony limit.

The Octatrack has the potential to be the best groovebox ever, but again it has a unique workflow that you either bond with or don't. I've been personally considering getting another for awhile now, but I alway hesitate at the last second. :) It can do a LOT, but it means a lot of mental hoops figuring out how you want to organize things and what you're trying to do.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm

thank you! I´m leaning towards an octatrack, but its soo much money... If the korg or the novation were not fixed to the grid I´d be fine with them for now.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:41 am

Talking about the Circuit and those cool gears, Roland has a cool old product called the MC-09 Phrase Lab. Which is kind of the hardware version of Egoist.

The concept is interesting and the price is right. But maybe it was to early, if it has a new version with a USB interface, SD Card, a decent software which can be used as a VST and for managing samples, plus a drum sampler and another polyphonic synth part, it's going to be a cool product. Specially in a small portable form with interactive UI and sequencer/arp. Pity that Roland didn't develop it further. I thougt that the Circuit is heading to that direction before, like the combination of their launchpad app and their drum/synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums