8.3.3 CPU bug

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
square7

8.3.3 CPU bug

Post by square7 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Running 8.3.3 on Lion 10.7.4 Macbook pro Retina 8gigs ram. Just using the built in soundcard, no external interface.

When I first open one of the projects I'm working on, everything is steady at 30-40% CPU. But no matter what, after about 15-30 minutes, without doing anything new to the project the CPU will kick up to 100-140% and become completely unusable. Nothing but glitches, heavy distortion and stuttery madness. Unplayable.

What's up with that? I never had this problem on older versions even with the same setup and project.

I would send a crash report but Live doesn't crash. Just becomes unplayable. Sure if I close the project, then open it again I'll have about 15 or so minutes to work before the same thing happens. And repeat.

Needless to say this is very frustrating. Any solutions besides punching my computer in it's face? I'm so cereal

oblique strategies

Re: 8.3.3 CPU bug

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 am

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have any insight into the issue, but I do have something to offer regarding you getting some help:

Next time it occurs do the following:
1. Click on the 'Help' menu & select: 'Get Support...'

2. Click on 'Ableton Status Report'.

3. A 'Live Reports' window should open that contains an .alp file with a name like this: 'Ableton Status Report 2012-08-29 172137 Live 8.4b6alp' This report should be already selected in the window.

4. Write up a description of the issue in an email, & attach the Ableton Status Report.

5. Send it all to: bugs@ableton.com

Optional to include:
Launch Console & look for Console messages that pertain to audio, Ableton, &/or Live. Console messages are searchable.

My experience is that they are very helpful on the lookout to squash bugs!