Editing in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mbazzy

Editing in Live

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:43 pm

I've been demo'ing Live for some time now and I'm utterly impressed by the live/realtime vs sequencer/off-line integration.

For arranging I've been using AcidPro untill now a lot, because of the fairly intuitive GUI and the ability for in-line editing.

That's where my question kicks in :

Maybe I haven't found it yet, but is there a possibility to do some in-line editing of samples while in arranger/sequencer mode .

In acid I'm used to chop/slice/dice/mangle up my samples in order to arrange them but I don't seem to understand how this is done in Live ...

EG. say you have a 5 sec sample, and you have want to cut out pieces in this sample to obtain kinda stutter effect , can Live do this? (In acidPro it is quite trivial)...

Also, is there a way to (automatically) export/render the individual trax to wav for further mixdown in another environment?

If I could get around these 2 problems, I'm a buyer ... my way of producing just is screaming for this kind of productiontool .. have a look @ http://stage.vitaminic.com/sad_end_projects and you'll understand why...

btester

cut/paste

Post by btester » Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:48 pm

I do lots of cutting and pasting and manipulation of clips in Live's arranger. It takes a minute or two to get used to it, but in practice its pretty simple. You can cut clips using command-E in conjunction with the quantize key commands to cut on beats or freely. And since each audio clip in the arranger is treated as a discrete entity, each "new" clip can have its own pitch and time-stretching settings. So a simple stutter can become a shifting organic singularity (if you want). You can then copy a section of clips and paste them into the session for bouncing down to a new slot. Or just bounce a looped section from the arranger into a new session slot. Pretty easy.

Mbazzy

Problem numero uno solved!

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:10 pm

Btester, thanx for already solving one vital issue for me.

How about the rendering (can't check this in the demo (saving disabled), and can't find it in the manual) : can I render every single track in arranger/sequencer mode as a seperate wav, preferably automagically ? This is purely for mixdown/mastering purposes

btester

well

Post by btester » Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:45 pm

There is no offline rendering in Live (maybe some day?). But you can easily bounce tracks from he arranger into new wav or aiff files by turning on loop for the section you want in the arranger and bouncing to a slot in the session. Then you just have to import these new files into your other audio sequencer (or back to Live).

Does that make sense?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:27 am

What is "off-line rendering"? Are you talking about exporting loops as wav files?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:16 am

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:54 am

poor long suffering animal. the only thing worse than cheese on your face is having your picture taken with cheese on your face. and since the original question in 2002 it occurs to me you can right click the clip and choose crop sample as well.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:09 am

As far as I understood you have in fact several options to render tracks:

1. Master: obviously renders the master/mixed signal
2. Single track: renders a chosen single track
3. All tracks: renders all tracks seperately (in contrast to master) and is what you're most likely looking for
4. A Return, B Return: whatever :)