Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 am

Hey

On my last project, I'm simply trying to trust my ears 100%.

Playing with Low cut (HPF) on some kick, I can almost go up to 60hz and barely ear a difference.
Granted, I use 5inch monitors, so there's not a lot of bass, but I usually can feel it right (and it translates correctly).

I also use BeyerDynamics 990, and those one are really precise, even for the bass... but still, Low cut kick up to 50 or even 60 hz and I don't really notice a difference.

I hear a little bit, but if I trust my ears 100%, I'll leave it at 50hz



I just wonder what's your experience on this? I want to remove as much useless energy as possible to get my track louder at the end of the mix. Would it sound less bottom heavy on a massive PA ? what do you usually do for electro tracks?

cheers
Last edited by The Carpet Cleaner on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am

Also I blind test a/b and I alway prefer when there is low cut .

Do you guys hpf you kick as well?

102455
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by 102455 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm more interested in your dog!

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 pm

102455 wrote:I'm more interested in your dog!
Well, dogs have an extended frequency range hearing, dont they? So maybe the 20hz in low kick drums are for their entertainment.
I'm seeking your experiences.

anybody human
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by anybody human » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:29 pm

I usually find the fundamental frequency, boost that a bit, and then hp filter up as close to the fundamental as possible without affecting the tone & weight too much . I have no idea if this is a good idea, don't take my word for it :)

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Hey

On my last project, I'm simply trying to trust my ears 100%.

Playing with Low cut (HPF) on some kick, I can almost go up to 60hz and barely ear a difference.
Granted, I use 5inch monitors, so there's not a lot of bass, but I usually can feel it right (and it translates correctly).

I also use BeyerDynamics 990, and those one are really precise, even for the bass... but still, Low cut kick up to 50 or even 60 hz and I don't really notice a difference.

I hear a little bit, but if I trust my ears 100%, I'll leave it at 50hz



I just wonder what's your experience on this? I want to remove as much useless energy as possible to get my track louder at the end of the mix. Would it sound less bottom heavy on a massive PA ? what do you usually do for electro tracks?

cheers
you don't get the full picture on headphones...
(you might get a glimpse of the low end if you listen at really low volume)
try and get to a system with decent subs...one that shake you balls
Image

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

I suppose a big sub to shake my balls would be great...

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:I suppose a big sub to shake my balls would be great...
seriously now...
the difference in picture between a "full-range" 2.1-way system (including a sub-bass)
and any other 2 way system is astounding.. (specifically in the low end)
it correlates with the low-end you usually see on the spectrum analyzer but can't quite hear without the shaking of the balls..
Image

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm

3dot... wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:I suppose a big sub to shake my balls would be great...
seriously now...
the difference in picture between a "full-range" 2.1-way system (including a sub-bass)
and any other 2 way system is astounding.. (specifically in the low end)
it correlates with the low-end you usually see on the spectrum analyzer but can't quite hear without the shaking of the balls..
Yea I know, it makes me think about other thread going on on the forum right now.

Like, on headphones, mobiles, and most of speakers, you'll probably not ear the 20hz... but then on PA or with cars with big subs...

But still, I wonder what people with subs do. Do you cut at 20hz, or don't hpf you kick at tall ? is the 20 hz only dirt and useless ? cause, in my cans and monitors, it mostly is. I need to go to a bigger studio to check this out.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:34 pm

get out the grot boxes! play it in your car, on the iPod, on your mom's system, over the city's emergency PA, play it everywhere you can, and listen.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

1.A.M.
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:05 am
Location: Cluburesti

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by 1.A.M. » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

HPF-ing your low end to much you will loose the weight of your track without noticing by ear and you will scream afterwards that your track is sounding thin or live is fcuking with your sound.
Best bet here is to adjust low end by volume or A/B it with a track that you like in the low end an dtry to match using spctrum.
HPF all the tracks that don't need low end but not the kick and bass and be shure that under 100Hz you have some dinamics, usually bad low end is due to lack of dynamics.
Just my 2Cent.
Cheers!

störgeräusche
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:10 pm

i always hipass my kicks and basslines, varying from 30 to 70, usually nothing under 50, since all the energy my tracks needs start at around 60.
In fact I hipass almost every sound, so that nothin interferes with the lowend of the bass and kick.

I never had lack of bass when playing my liveacts.
soundcloud
website
______________________________________________________
Win7 Pro 64 - i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz - 16 GB RAM - RME Multiface II

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 pm

störgeräusche wrote:I never had lack of bass when playing my liveacts.
have you ever walked out onto the floor during your set and listened?

just some good advice I've read on here.

coming from a non-DJ.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 pm

störgeräusche wrote:i always hipass my kicks and basslines, varying from 30 to 70, usually nothing under 50, since all the energy my tracks needs start at around 60.
In fact I hipass almost every sound, so that nothin interferes with the lowend of the bass and kick.

I never had lack of bass when playing my liveacts.
depends how steep the hpfilter (db/octave)

one thing for certain...it will diminish lows...that's just what it does
Image

störgeräusche
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Low Cut Kick Drum for my dog?

Post by störgeräusche » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 am

yes I did walk on the dancefloor when my music was playing, during soundcheck (always) and during the performance (sometimes), so I know how my stuff sounds in a club.
hipass filter is very steep, 36 dB/octave (sonnox oxford native EQ).
soundcloud
website
______________________________________________________
Win7 Pro 64 - i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz - 16 GB RAM - RME Multiface II

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Post Reply