The death of the DJ

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: The death of the DJ

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm

funken wrote:come on Tone, which one's you?

09/10 @ 06:08 : Sale, GB
09/10 @ 06:02 : Portland, Oregon, US
09/10 @ 05:42 : Bucharest, RO
09/10 @ 05:39 : El Monte, California, US
09/10 @ 05:14 : Mountain View, California, US
09/10 @ 05:06 : Lausanne, CH
09/10 @ 04:37 : Brockton, Massachusetts, US
09/10 @ 04:22 : Avon, Indiana, US
09/10 @ 04:15 : Carlow, IE
09/10 @ 04:15 : Richmond Hill, CA
09/10 @ 04:08 : Tacoma, Washington, US
it's not listed there. :? Tone Deft was this one:

09/10 @ 04:20 : Casa De Los Marijuanos, Tejas, Estados Unidos

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

funken wrote:come on Tone, which one's you?

09/10 @ 06:08 : Sale, GB
09/10 @ 06:02 : Portland, Oregon, US
09/10 @ 05:42 : Bucharest, RO
09/10 @ 05:39 : El Monte, California, US
09/10 @ 05:14 : Mountain View, California, US
09/10 @ 05:06 : Lausanne, CH
09/10 @ 04:37 : Brockton, Massachusetts, US
09/10 @ 04:22 : Avon, Indiana, US
09/10 @ 04:15 : Carlow, IE
09/10 @ 04:15 : Richmond Hill, CA
09/10 @ 04:08 : Tacoma, Washington, US
which one of these are you?

http://www.beilroderkarnevalsclub.de/Ne ... unken.html
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 pm

if he's either of the two on the lower right... then he's pretty hawt.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

it's 2012, we have great tools that can make DJ-ing really easy. many people stop there. others push the envelope, have HUGE natural abilities and put in a tremendous amount of effort. both crowds will say that they're the bomb.

unfortunately for every really talented DJ out there there's a thousand posers that talk a lot.

in my experience, the ones that really know their shit have had been around this bullshit enough to gloss over it and are confident enough to not engage the fuckwits in this type of conversation. if you got it you don't care who knows. if you're a fuckwit attention whore, get some CDJs or Live or whatever and learn to pump your fist, overtwist knobs, pop your Ed Hardy collar and be sure to tell everyone that will listen to you that you're a DJ. warp all your tracks, set quantize to 4 measures, don't go into the red too often and dream of those $1,000 a night gigs with hooker and blow after parties.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 pm

ian_halsall wrote:mixing used to be part of it

it isn't any more
Actually I think mixing is a bigger part if it than ever before. Mixing never simply meant beatmatching. It is also about the way you make your transitions, the way you build up to your drops, the way you juggle things playing together, etc.

Now DJing on the other hand is not just about mixing skills. It is also equally about the songs you have in your arsenal and how you read your dance floor as to which tracks to drop next. I play with everything: vinyl, cds, laptops, etc (all in one set if needed) and can keep things very tight, but I don't care if the DJ next to me is only using a laptop. If they can rock the dance floor and blow my mind with the way the music flows, then that is all I care about. I am dancing.

Digital tools make starting to DJ easier than before and so there are many DJs who aren't that good - they can't hold a dance floor or make an interesting musical statement - but good DJs will just blow them away no matter what they are using, so I don't see any point in getting too worried about all this. To me it is just the same as when making music became more accessible. There was suddenly more bad stuff in the stores to go through, yes, but that is just part of the deal. Eventually you find the good stuff :)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's 2012, we have great tools that can make DJ-ing really easy. many people stop there. others push the envelope, have HUGE natural abilities and put in a tremendous amount of effort. both crowds will say that they're the bomb.

unfortunately for every really talented DJ out there there's a thousand posers that talk a lot.

in my experience, the ones that really know their shit have had been around this bullshit enough to gloss over it and are confident enough to not engage the fuckwits in this type of conversation. if you got it you don't care who knows. if you're a fuckwit attention whore, get some CDJs or Live or whatever and learn to pump your fist, overtwist knobs, pop your Ed Hardy collar and be sure to tell everyone that will listen to you that you're a DJ. warp all your tracks, set quantize to 4 measures, don't go into the red too often and dream of those $1,000 a night gigs with hooker and blow after parties.
Ahaha! Well said Tone Deft.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 am

Tone Deft wrote:it's 2012, we have great tools that can make DJ-ing really easy. many people stop there. others push the envelope, have HUGE natural abilities and put in a tremendous amount of effort. both crowds will say that they're the bomb.

not z-trip apparently, he's quite peeved at all of this.
I look at it like this, any artist no matter what kind naturally doesn't want his or her art misrepresented, it's only natural.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 am

starving student wrote:not z-trip apparently
what are you talking about?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:52 am

starving student wrote:

not z-trip apparently, he's quite peeved at all of this.
I look at it like this, any artist no matter what kind naturally doesn't want his or her art misrepresented, it's only natural.
"other people go up and hit play, bring people on stage and throw out beach balls. I don’t knock that hustle, but I can’t really back it."

oh, he's so peeved! :roll:

and it's an article from a year ago. he and I are pretty much saying the same thing, it's not the technology's fault, it's the users. some barely use the tools, some take it to a high degree.

did you actually read the article?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 am

yeah I read it, I agree with that way of saying it as well but it's just another way of saying the same thing. whenever we talk about computer djs and all that here I just assumed we're never talking about those people who really play the computer at least I don't, I just assumed we're talking about djs who don't even care about skills when we talk about fake djs.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 am

no worries, the are real DJs and very talented people on this forum, they're just quiet because well, it's just the goddamn Ableton forum.

it's a good article, I like his chill approach to it all, been there, seen that over and over, so it goes. that guy's done some insanely creative mixes.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 am

yeah it's amazing how consistent he is too,

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm

oh yeah, well in that case i'd love to edit your html... you know, cascade in your style sheets!