Another noob down the rabbit hole... which audio interface?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SoopaSonik

Another noob down the rabbit hole... which audio interface?

Post by SoopaSonik » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:27 pm

and other questions...

This is my first post here.. I have been DJ'ing for about 10 years now, finally took the plunge into Live after thinking about it for a couple years. At this point, mainly I am interested in production, creating my own mixes. I am curious about what else it can do though..

I am on Windows 7 64, both on my laptop, and desktop. I know, everyone likes Mac better, but I am very into photography, I build my own computers, and have my current desktop setup way beyond what (I am aware of) any standard Mac can be configured to. With all I have used it for so far, it works flawlessly. I understand Windows has less than stellar support for Firewire, and also that Firewire is probably the best port for an audio interface.

Recording vinyl is a priority. I build record players (high end home audio, not trying to outdo the venerable 1200) (http://www.woodsongaudio.com) and have the source end of things covered well, up to the audio interface. Currently in the desktop I have an ESI Juli@. Anyone using this interface? Problems with it? Like it?

Yesterday I loaded Live into both computers. The desktop took ages to startup until I messed around with the drivers for the Juli@ It is still considerably slower to boot than before loading Live. It is acceptable now, but slower.

Live wants to see an internet connection every time it launches, if the internet is not connected, it asks to authorize. Is this normal? Can it be bypassed, disabled, reconfigured? I am on wireless internet, and this is a PITA.

My laptop is a Dell M6400 workstation with 2 internal drives, OS on SSD, files on the other, and a Firewire port, lots of RAM, 2.93ghz Core 2 Duo, fresh load and running super slick. I believe the Firewire controller is made by Ricoh, which I have read some unfavorable things about. Anyone use this lappie? Any success/ horror stories with Windows 7 and Firewire?

Is it possible for a USB interface to work well for Live? Maybe something like the RME Babyface? I do not want to have to deal with any frustrations from high latency. A friend using a MBP lappie and an M-Audio (basic) interface, and APC, has unworkable amounts of latency. I am not afraid to pay for quality, decent A/D conversion is important.

I was about to go for the MOTU Ultralite MK3, but I am reading that it does not play well with Windows Firewire.

I am looking for info about Windows 7 and firewire interfaces, or if a high quality USB interface can be reliable in a performance environment.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good path in getting started on learning Live? Right now it is feeling like walking up to a helicopter, having never seen one, and thinking about flying it... I am ready to suck for as long as it takes to learn this, but would enjoy at least being able to 'get inside' this thing...

Cheers all!

dna598

Re: Another noob down the rabbit hole... which audio interface?

Post by dna598 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:05 pm

RME Babyface all the way.

Used to use echo audiofire12. RME destroys.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

jtregoat

Post by jtregoat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:15 pm

dna598 wrote:RME Babyface all the way.

Used to use echo audiofire12. RME destroys.
definitely the babyface. if you were on a mac I'd recommend the apogee duet 2 but the babyface is a great contender.

as for where to get started...

It's hard to pick anyone place IMO because it's very dependent on the small things you may have picked up before etc. What I love about Ableton is that it's not necessarily like getting into a helicopter... it's more like climbing a ladder as you build it. Any one 'ableton course' may cover things you know and don't know, but with Ableton you can figure some things out on your own, as you're trying to do what you want to do, putting some rungs in this 'ladder'. You can also skip a rung here or there because you're close enough or you can just jump it, and it won't necessarily not effect you not to know it. Unless you're interested in learning everything about it, I'd say just a) start playing with ableton and trying to do what you want to do, and b) when you don't know how to do something, look it up online. You'll learn pieces you want/need to know in the future, and you'll put together this ladder that you'll eventually be able to climb to the top.

A nice way to get started is the Ableton tutorials that are included in the program.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:04 pm

it takes time, and never ends..the more you know, the more you find out how much you dont know..i say this not to scare you off learning, but the suggest you enjoy the path

so, imo, start working and see what it is you need, Live is about the most fun you can have legally..so, +1, have fun, no stress/worries, cus its way too much to learn all at once

i got going with youtube vids, loops, help from friends, and MusicTech Magazine Focus Series : Live8 , best $20 i ever spent

+

time

SoopaSonik

Post by SoopaSonik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Live is installed on my desktop, and the lappie, I am assuming this is fine as I can only use one at a time, and each rig has a slightly different use. The 'authorize with ableton' window keeps presenting itself. I have authorized both computers. Why do I keep seeing this? Internet is connected when I open the program.. What does this program want?

Yes, the more I read about the babyface, it seems like a decent interface. Gonna do that one unless something jumps up and says buy me instead.. At this price point, price definitely takes a backseat to sound quality, lack of hassle, and solid reliability. Hoping the Babyface delivers.

Thanks..