Overload on Redux / insert effects

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
four_forests

Overload on Redux / insert effects

Post by four_forests » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Hello....

I'm a newbie to music production and ableton...

I've added vinyl distortion and redux to a drum sample, and the volume meter in the chain coming out of vinyl distortion is going into red/clipping, and in redux (next in the chain) the overload indicator is flashing, but the meter coming out of redux and the master volume etc show its in the green. Is it ok to leave it like this, as I like the sound, how its clipping, or is that somehow gonna cause a problem..damage speakers somehow?
Sorry for ignorance, but i have no idea...!
Hope someone can help :op

Harry

P.s. also does anyone know how i can get my track to sound naturally lo fi? I looked up izotope vinyl but its only for pro tools. Thanks.

FatherSonAndAlcohol

Re: Overload on Redux / insert effects

Post by FatherSonAndAlcohol » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm

You generally don't have to worry about clipping within a track as long as the track's overall output doesn't go red. If the last effect in the chain is causing it to clip, you can either insert a limiter after it or bring down the track volume.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 pm

in Live you can run audio and MIDI tracks hot... that is to say you can run them as far in to the red as they will go...

...it is only the Master track that you have to worry about going into the red. clipping will only occur if the Master track exceeds 0.0 dbfs

[nis] wrote:Thanks to the floating point audio engine you can drive any internally routed tracks rather hot (about +60 db in Live) without clipping.

Every track that is sent to a physical output of your audio interface should not go beyond 0 dbfs.
quote taken from:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97267&p=749490&hilit=dbfs#p749490

four_forests

Post by four_forests » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks loads for answers :o)

The only thing i'm confused about is about H20nly says it doesn't matter if a whole track is clipping, as long as the master is in green, but fatherSonandAlcohol reckons each tracks volume shouldn't go into the red...?

Why does it matter if the last effect in the chain is in the red? Is that because that is the same as the tracks final output volume?

Thank you again!!

Harry

mihai

Post by mihai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 am

Formats: Pro Tools 6.1+ (RTAS/AudioSuite/HTDM), VST, MAS, Audio Unit, DirectX.

just saying.

http://izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm

four_forests wrote:The only thing i'm confused about is about H20nly says it doesn't matter if a whole track is clipping, as long as the master is in green, but fatherSonandAlcohol reckons each tracks volume shouldn't go into the red...?

Why does it matter if the last effect in the chain is in the red? Is that because that is the same as the tracks final output volume?
don't misunderstand my meaning... i don't normally push any individual tracks into the red... but with Live... you can (big time)... without damaging your final mix output. this can be handy (to use an example) if you have a snare or a kick drum that pushes your drum group into the red.

normally (in most DAWs) avoiding the red is a good thing, but again in Ableton Live you can run your internal tracks hot... as long as the Master output does not go into the red.

the quote i posted was not from a Live user, but from an Ableton employee.