Get rid of video in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simmerdown

Re: Get rid of video in Live

Post by simmerdown » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:28 pm

chasedobson wrote:Ableton, Please don't. I use this daily.

if you AREN'T using it, why is it such a nuisance?
maybe you should do a tutorial on it, seems its mostly useless to many users...i mean, essentially doesnt the vid have to be done, then you are scoring in Live? no vid editing in Live, right? are you constantly bouncing back n forth to an outside vid editor to have this be funtional?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

a fun trick with video is to assign midi notes to the timeline markers in Arrange view then set an arpeggio to play those notes, send the notes out of Live and back in and use them as control data. the video will jump around in time to the music. it's pretty mesmerizing.

awkward explanation, close enough.

video eats up drive space and takes longer to operate on than video. aaaand I'm an audio guy, not really a bling flashy blinky guy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

chasedobson

Post by chasedobson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I don't use it for any video editing, or for anything particularly cool, I would use different tools for manipulation. I tour as playback technician for a couple of artists, I use the video playback for video prompting and on screen set list for the band.

Additionally, I've used it for sending video content to LED wall's when working on a budget that is constricted to no video personnel.

:edit: Hardly exciting, I know... but its utilitarian and gets the job done, I'd have to come up with some dumb workaround if they took that feature away.
Last edited by chasedobson on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasedobson

Post by chasedobson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:a fun trick with video is to assign midi notes to the timeline markers in Arrange view then set an arpeggio to play those notes, send the notes out of Live and back in and use them as control data. the video will jump around in time to the music.
I've tried this as well (only using a second laptop) for my own musical endeavor hoping for a cheap way to have midi controlled video clips. I opted to use resolume instead.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 pm

it's useful when scoring a video...obviously the video+audio render would be in a video editing program....
it supports quicktime videos
:|
this thread is silly.
live is an audio app.. use a vj app if you want to mess with videos

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 pm

if you dont like it dont use it and stfu, some use it an like it

H20nly

Get rid of bugs, humidity, hunger, & misplaced anger in Live

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 pm

post subject line has been adjusted. see above.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am

Keep the video! I make money with that shit

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Riley333 wrote:Use a video app, like Vegas or Final cut, or any number of the free video programs.

Live is for Jamming and music production.

I'm not just saying.

Riley
I don't get that line of thinking. If you don't need it why not just not use it. Its useful for scoring to video if one wants that feature. I like using the video feature for editing audio for my podcasts that I do I'd rather keep it in a program I have and know than to buy another program for it.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm

LP wrote:Totally disagree.

I use Live for sound design to picture all the time, and I use the M4L video effects in performance along with the audio capabilities of Live.

I wish it was more capable, but in fact, it's not half bad.
I have not explored music creation to video yet, but it's been on my 'To Do' list for ages, thank's for reminding me, as when I get time for another true ambient outing, it may very well be 'Video' inspired, video of space, waterfalls, rivers, birds, mountains, flowers...city scapes,,, yeah it's all looking good. 8)

convex

Post by convex » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Absurd idea for a thread, but I'll bite.

I'd never loaded a Quicktime file into Live until last month when someone hired me to make a soundtrack for their short film. Dragged the video into arrangement view and then matched certain events in the music and assorted field recordings quickly and precisely to the desired frames. Easy. Glad to have the feature. Now I can go back to not thinking about it until I need it again.