what point do you give up on a song? after 1, 2 or 6 years?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

what point do you give up on a song? after 1, 2 or 6 years?

Post by nathannn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:18 am

I have a track that i have been working on since 2006, it has been re arranged re-mixed and re-worked every imaginable way.
It went from a simple synth line into an electronic song then I re-made it for guitar to be a rock song and now its back to electronic.
I can not get this thing finished!

Of course I haven't spent the last six years working on it but its been one of those things where every few months I open it up and mess with it more.
The thing is this isn't the only song like this I have two more from the same era (around 2006)

Anyone care to take a look at it and see if you could come up with suggestions or something?
I wont be paying you.. except in the unlikely event it becomes a hit.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

anybody human

Re: what point do you give up on a song? after 1, 2 or 6 years?

Post by anybody human » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:46 pm

The track Untitled? I like it. It's lovely. Bit loose on the low end but it's that kind of rolling track. A touch of something bright would be cool as a counterpoint, like a watery electric piano melody played in a high-ish register. I dig it.

matthews

Post by matthews » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I actually think that untitled track is pretty interesting. Not my style, but not too shabby nonetheless. Also, I like the sig, at least its fun and unique, instead of the typical "heres my logo - visit my blog".

matthews

Post by matthews » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm

How so?

pharos

Post by pharos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm

If I have a song that just can't get finished, I take a step back and consider maybe using parts of it in other songs. Sometimes a chord progression or a mood would work great in something else. I let it die and reincarnate instead of trying to hold it up with plastic surgery and botox, you know?

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm

you can make an album out of all the version you have and you will make of this track!

sig: YEAH, way better than some stupid traffic stats like funken had a couple of days ago. who cares anyway how many ppl visit your blog dude? does this mean something?
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 pm

the song im talking about isnt on my sound cloud yet... its not finished.
i was kind of hoping some one would be up to looking at the live set.

funken the sig has nothing to do with you :lol: seriously
i have gone to your site a few times and i think (from your post) you are an ok guy and what you are trying to do is ok. i hope you can earn a living and get massive happiness from it :D ! you dont come of as a douche like a lot of the other people who post maybe 10 times and then ask everyone to buy their shit.
its collective joke on every one (so yeah i guess you included but everyone else also) who has big banners or is trying to sell things in their sigs i just dont like salesmen.

the sig i had the longest was pissing on the guys that show off their gear list in their sigs like a longest cock contest.
idk i think its funny.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 pm

pharos wrote:If I have a song that just can't get finished, I take a step back and consider maybe using parts of it in other songs. Sometimes a chord progression or a mood would work great in something else. I let it die and reincarnate instead of trying to hold it up with plastic surgery and botox, you know?
yeah, this is what i have been doing. last night i added just subtle things to one song to make it sound a little fuller and so far its turning out ok.

no computers or synths

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 am

I can't quite hear the Radioshack Hit Sticks in the mix....

Sorta sounds nice....shoe gazing sorta sound....hope you finish it one day.

I love your new sig. One of the best I've seen.

Def made me click on it......

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 am

ShelLuser wrote:
funken wrote:Not keen on the sig
+1

The only reason I mention this is because I think the OP should keep something in mind; the louder the sigs become the more people will ignore the whole lot of them in their entirety.

I'm not stressed enough to make a big fuss out of it but I do think the "screamier" the sig the more risk you take that people will actually avoid you.

Alas; to answer the question in the topic even though I get the feeling that it doesn't cover the thread... I'm working on my main (hobby!) project for 3 years now and although I have some rough material which some close friends of mine consider not too bad I still don't feel confident enough to dump it on stuff such as soundcloud.

Sometimes you never give up 8-)
i dont mind throwing something up on sound cloud if i know i probably wont be going back to it.
the two tracks that are up now took less than a few hours they are both just guitar and drums. the tracks that have been laying around for 6 years are a mix of guitar drums and synth. they are not really complex songs i just feel they have hit potential and if i dont get them right they will be trash.
as for the sig its meant to look stupid... its a joke and its staying... at least for another week, or until everyone gets it through their heads that big retarded looking sigs look like spam.

no computers or synths

condra

Post by condra » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 am

I would like some nonchalant XX/JJ meets Stone Roses vocals on top.
Also, less splash/crash cymbals.
And a breakdown.
And a cresendo.
And a dryer snare.
And some sprinkles of token reverb synth to give it that modern Emo/Hipster vibe.

I love it though. Stick with it IMO.