Alchemy

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
doghouse

Re: Alchemy

Post by doghouse » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Apple buying Camel doesn't equate to Alchemy showing up in Logic. They might want Camel to work on iPad music apps, like an expansion of Garageband.

They bought Redmatica but do you see any of the Redmatica sampling utilities sold at the App Store? Rather Apple just wanted some Redmatica technology and/or their engineering team.

Companies like Redmatica and Camel are tiny, maybe a half dozen people. It's an inexpensive acquisition for a huge company like Apple.

Anyway, this is all conjecture until Apple or some other company announces an acquisition of Camel.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Personally I don’t think Logic is that difficult to understand but I don’t do overly complex production and I understand the confusion if you are used to using Live like Reaktor The DAW, routing all over the place and building devices. That has never really interested me and is probably why I am more satisfied with Logic for the most part.

But then there are some stupid things in Logic like you still can’t sidechain from a MIDI track, only from an audio track. The work around is to create a bus track from the MIDI track and then sidechain from that. I can’t think of a situation where that is a preferable method. Maybe an option, but shouldn’t be the default and only method. If you have a large set you already have enough tracks to manage and monitor without having to add bus tracks just to sidechain. And how can Apple miss the fact that sidechaining has been a big production technique in electronica since 2007 which is largely MIDI based.

I've only really used Alchemy for the library so I don't know what it could bring to the table as far as improving Apple's sampler.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I bet they've all got the hump down at Camel

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:25 pm

doghouse wrote:
They bought Redmatica but do you see any of the Redmatica sampling utilities sold at the App Store? Rather Apple just wanted some Redmatica technology and/or their engineering team.
Very likely that Logic XI comes out with an advanced EXS sampler since 90% of what Redmatica did was in support of the EXS. No reason to think Apple would leverage this advantage to work with Kontact etc.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:12 am

I just hate to see such an important part of our "hobby/profession" taken away. Very influential.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:43 am

eyeknow wrote:Though there is a bunch of speculation that says "they are going apple" ... That part of the equation has not been established.

For one thing, I have a tough time believing that there is any other motive to apple buying them UNLESS their staff somehow "fits" into their scheme. Also, apple is WAY more interested in iphone apps than some synth software. How in the world does "alchemy/packs/etc" fit into this??

Now, I dont' have the clairvoyance to know one way or the other, but I'm not clear at this point to know one way or the other. Now, some people are far more connected to the "business" part and would know better. But "who" are they exactly at this point?

Maybe I'm just wrong, but I feel that they have handled it poorly. The only thing I can draw is that they went "under" to some degree.
Camels ipad app is one of the best out there, and they had a good expansion pack thing going on as well, so if it is Apple buying them; they get a company that has some of the most advanced vsti sampling tech out there, and has a good grasp of the ipad market too...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 am

Like I said, maybe I'm just wrong.

IF apple is behind all this, it will likely leave windows users in the dust.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:49 am

If it is an Apple buy out I hope we at least see some of Alchemy in Logic somehow... Seen nothing of Redmatica so far.
I'm a MBP, windows desktop, kind of guy so although it would be a shame to lose out on the windows platform...

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 am

eyeknow wrote:it will likely leave windows users in the dust.
(Wiping the front of my nearest mixer...) So Apple gear attracts higher quality dust than this standard dust? Must be 96 kiloDirts. :lol:

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 am

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:35 am

dredd i knight wrote:If it is an Apple buy out I hope we at least see some of Alchemy in Logic somehow... Seen nothing of Redmatica so far.
I'm a MBP, windows desktop, kind of guy so although it would be a shame to lose out on the windows platform...
Autosampler is rolled into the $30 MainStage. Not a bad deal.

You're what I would call the smartest kind of user. In the sense that IMO Apple laptops are miles above Windows offerings and Windows desktops offer more than Apple does in that department.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:38 am

NM
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 am

Tarekith wrote:NM
If they provide a reasonable upgrade path for current users (Mac/Win), I will forgive them and shake their hand again for whatever the new product is.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
dredd i knight wrote:If it is an Apple buy out I hope we at least see some of Alchemy in Logic somehow... Seen nothing of Redmatica so far.
Autosampler is rolled into the $30 MainStage. Not a bad deal.

You're what I would call the smartest kind of user. In the sense that IMO Apple laptops are miles above Windows offerings and Windows desktops offer more than Apple does in that department.
Yeah that's the way I see it re laptop and desktop performance/expenditure... ;)