worst vsts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: worst vsts

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm

JMFOne wrote:I can't believe you aren't a fan of Analogs GUI-what don't you like about it? I don't have it but I used it alot when I was demoing Live 8 and was thinking to pick it up when Ableton next do a sale.
I was thinking about that after I posted. it never clicked with me. Live's design ethos of having stuff live in Clip View can make using their devices like operating on someone through a keyhole. I really like Operator, it's an FM synth but it can be configured in ways that mimic Analog's design. when I need a synth I grab Operator, not Analog. maybe it's time I focus on learning Analog.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Any embedded plug in qualifies for me as worst VST by default.
Not everyone uses only one DAW.
I have two decent convolution reverbs in DP and Logic respectively and cannot use them in Live without crippling Live with Rewire.
I would be ecstatic if DAWs all of a sudden tomorrow all developed a true universal plug in format and freed their plug ins up.

Also, any Windows VST plug in badly ported to OSX. You can always tell an AU/VST that will be problematic when the developer didn't even bother to change the close box to the left or the icon for it. Voxengo for example make a great mastering plug in with Elephant, but it's a piss poor OSX port at best. IMO it's probably farmed out to FXPansions wrapper technology etc. :?
Surely the VSTs included in each DAW are part of the USP to that particular DAW? like exclusives to get people to buy the product.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 pm

it's pretty pointless to put a fine grain on what people should and shouldn't post.

I find many of Progresso's soups to be off-putting. to me Campbell's has a great variety of soups and they're pretty consistently good.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

botstein

Post by botstein » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:36 pm

https://sugar-bytes.de/content/products ... hp?lang=en

I had trouble sitting through a short demonstration of this on Saturday. It just did not sound nice.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 pm

JMFOne wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Surely the VSTs included in each DAW are part of the USP to that particular DAW? like exclusives to get people to buy the product.
Of course they are, no doubt, but as we well know it isn't necessary to embed them, it's only for marketing reasons, unlike say take comping, SysEx support etc. I understand the reason in terms of capitalism, but in terms of usability it doesn't do much for the end user IMO..

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 am

i too have a hard-on for diva.

my worst would have to be the old bitheadz unity ds-1 soft sampler
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 am

I'm sure I'll get flack for it, but by far the worst plug in I ever used was NI's Battery. I mean, the feature set was great, but it was crash happy when I was using it, to the point that it corrupted 8 different DAW Projects I was using it in at the time (Live and Logic) and I lost a LOT of work for an album I was working on. Weird fluke I'm sure, but always puts a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see that one.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 am

Tarekith wrote:I'm sure I'll get flack for it, but by far the worst plug in I ever used was NI's Battery. I mean, the feature set was great, but it was crash happy when I was using it, to the point that it corrupted 8 different DAW Projects I was using it in at the time (Live and Logic) and I lost a LOT of work for an album I was working on. Weird fluke I'm sure, but always puts a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see that one.
Not from me you won't. Battery was unstable, in Live especially for a long time. Not a fluke, just NI not getting it together. They had issues for years with the OSX version of Reaktor as well.... It's sorted now....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:03 am

Yeah, some of the bugs I had run into and had confirmed by NI were so obvious, I couldn't believe they actually released it knowing they might be an issue.

footsy

Post by footsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 am

FL Studio xD

No but seriously..

minus12 is pretty garbage, it's a free one... sooo yeah.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm

FUCKING CRYSONIC......... WHOLLY SHIT BATMAN!

try getting customer support and getting these lame as plugins to activate, even had one that would NOT let me past the code in.! WTF??

worst
www.crysonic.com

FlightPlan

Post by FlightPlan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:05 am

tintala wrote:FUCKING CRYSONIC......... WHOLLY SHIT BATMAN!

try getting customer support and getting these lame as plugins to activate, even had one that would NOT let me past the code in.! WTF??
http://www.crysonic.com
+1 big time!!!! Glitzy site, complete ripoff, a complete loss. Sold as a bundle, and the activation methods were different for each VST - never got these going, tech support, literally the worst I've EVER encountered - they just didn't care - they had my money. Complete criminals!

Later, too late, I found that plenty of people had already gotten shafted on the KRK forum. Moral: ALWAYS RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I bought the cry sonic stereo widener and it always works outline this. I put it on a channel or bus that I want to widen and I like it for about half an hour then I turn it off to check is it pulling it's weight and I delete it because it washing out the sound ins brittle unappealing way. Also Linnplug's Relectro, their marketing department saw me coming with that one, it can only sound like itself, I always end up removing it.

I like Amp but not Cabinet which just sound like a crap reverb to my ears.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Yellow Tools Independence Pro.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Have to agree about crysonic as well. Wish it weren't so, but they be buggy and unresponsive to tech support questions. :x