Master Volume Decreases when Sending Audio to Return Track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trippbro

Master Volume Decreases when Sending Audio to Return Track

Post by trippbro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 am

Hey guys,

I'm using the APC40. I am trying to use a reverb effect on my A Return Track. I'm dropping a basic reverb onto the track, and I want to use it so when I am sending audio to that return track, it is completely wet and not playing over the original audio. I figured out how to do this (put my sends as pre-fader and map it so when I turn my track's send knob it simultaneously turns down the volume on the original track). However, I have noticed that as I am turning the track's send knob (which is making the audio with a reverb effect louder, the original track's audio is becoming quieter) and unless I am 100% original audio and no return track, or 100% return track and no original audio, the master volume actually decreases.

For example, say I am playing a clip which is at 100% on the master, when I turn my send A knob the master volume will decrease as I have a combination of wet and dry audio, quite drastically- it probably decreases as much as 25% until I have turned it to 100% wet and no original audio (at which time the master volume increases back to 100%). What can I do to make it so as I am changing the amount of wet/dry signal the master volume won't decrease.

I hope this makes sense! And thanks for the help in advance!!

Vios

Re: Master Volume Decreases when Sending Audio to Return Track

Post by Vios » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Basically you want your effects send to give you a 100% wet all the way to 100% dry signal that's constant in volume similar to wet/dry on Ableton's effects correct?

Here's a weird way to do this:

Drop an audio effects rack into your return track. Drop your reverb into the effects rack (set to 100% wet), and then drop a utility into the another channel. On the utility, reverse the phase of the left and right channels. Leave everything at 0db. Now as you increase the send to the return track, you'll get cancellation of the original signal at the same time as the reverb increases. You can test it by turning off the reverb channel in the effects rack and seeing that as you increase the return send you get cancellation of the original signal until when you set the send to 100% you get complete cancellation of the signal. This is due to the inverted signal from utility cancelling out the original signal.

Note that this can behave slightly strange if you have quick automatons on your returns sends. Something to watch.

There's an explanation on this page about 50% down as well: http://www.loopblog.net/tutorials/daw-t ... ce-part-2/

Good Luck!