Are context dependent midi mapping possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
L-Stance

Are context dependent midi mapping possible?

Post by L-Stance » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 am

Hi,

I recently bought an mpk mini and I have managed to set up a remote script so that it works as a 'blue hand' controller. I really like this functionality and it works really well mapping the pads to the drum rack.

However I want to be able to assign the macros or midi knobs so that they will affect parameters only on the pad i have selected. For example it would be great if I could have a transpose macro but that only affected the current pad selected, so i could go through my pad samples and transpose each one separately but using only one macro space. This way just the macros and the drumrack could have a lot of the functionality of more expensive systems like the native instruments Maschine.

If this isnt possible it would be a great feature to include in the next version allowing even the simplest of midi controllers to become quite powerful in conjunction with Live. :mrgreen:

yur2die4

Re: Are context dependent midi mapping possible?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm

This is not as efficient as what you are requesting, but it is about as far as I've gotten.

The best way I've been able to do it is by mapping buttons or something to the title bar of each instance. Of course that requires a bit of foresight. And isn't even close to being as efficient as simply having it pop up when you tap the pad.

There is an option for each device to be displayed, but they are not 'selected' automatically.

....I haven't tried it with left and right arrow keys though. Hmmmm

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 am

Holy fuck!

I don't know if this is consistent or not, but I came across some intriguing behavior.

It seems like I can do this:

Have Auto on for the drum rack to display each sample as I hit it
Then, with Rack already selected for blue hand, I hit Right Arrow Key to step into instrument the that I just hit.
When I hit a different sample, there is no blue hand, until I hit Left Arrow Key, and then Right.

Where it gets very interesting is, when I retrigger the previous sample, the blue hand appears on it just as I left it?

The result: all instruments where I arrow keyed into the rack automatically blue hand every time I play them
All instruments that I have Not done that for, remain unselected until I arrow in.

I need to test for consistency but this could be a badass discovery!!

Edit: is this already a 'thing' ?

Edit 2: agh. Not very consistent!!!!!!

OnlyDanks

Post by OnlyDanks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:00 am

This has really got me stuck as well. Im using an MPD32.
I would like use the 8 knobs to on the MPD to adjust 8 parameters (eg. start,end,pitch,vol,attack, ect.) of my drum samples w/o the mouse, only using the controller.

I have a drumrack with a simpler grouped to instrument rack on each pad.
Im able to map the blue hand from the instrument rack nested on pad1 to pad1 on the controller.
However now pad1 doesnt trigger the note anymore. From here i thought maybe i can also manually map the pad to the drumrack pad1 but it doesnt work.

Can anyone please shed some light on this topic?
Suggestions? what is everyone one else doing?
Thank you in advance for you time

OnlyDanks

Post by OnlyDanks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 am

yur2die4 wrote: The result: all instruments where I arrow keyed into the rack automatically blue hand every time I play them
All instruments that I have Not done that for, remain unselected until I arrow in.
Can you elaborate on haw you "arrow in"? Sounds like what i might be doing.
I know what you mean by the blue hand staying where you left it.
Iv also noticed that if you hit pad 1, then click its rack title bar, then repeat for pads 2-8,
the blue hand WILL autoselect to the pads when played. BUT as soon as you do this for more than pads, or click focus to a different rack or device, it doesn't work anymore.

So here's what iv gathered so far for a workaround
Without MIDI mapping the blue hand:
With autoselect on:

KEYmap any key on your QWERTY keyboard to the drumrack title itself. so that pressing that key gives the blue hand control to the WHOLE drumrack. then pressing the right arrow key on your qwerty KB should move blue hand control to the simpler fo the selected chain(AKA the last played pad if autoselect is on).

I turned one of the the "G-keys" on my QWERTY keyboard to do this in one keystroke.
Now the G key is like an edit button and gives blue hand control to the last pad played

its the best iv got, hope this helps
let me know if youv got a way to eliminate that keystroke.