Running audio on Live in a live situation - external HD?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Running audio on Live in a live situation - external HD?

Post by lolalola » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm

So...

I run audio as my backing tracks/beats/noises in Arrangement View at gigs. I use midi markers and a pad controller to trigger the start points of these. There are up to 8 audio tracks per song, maybe 10 songs in a set. I currently have a 2011 Macbook Pro, with a 5400 HD, 8GB ram. My question is ...
would it be significantly more stable/wise for me to have the Ableton set stored on an external hard drive? I just want the MBP to run as smoothly as possible in a gig situation, with no droputs in sound, nothing taxing the CPU, etc.

How do you guys do this stuff in a live situation? Would the MBP be less stressed if I did this, or is the difference in processing power non-existent?

Cheers1

Tarekith

Re: Running audio on Live in a live situation - external HD?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

You'll more than fine running the audio off the internal drive, even a 4200RPM drive can stream dozens of tracks with no issues. Generally when it comes to playing live, I find the less you need to bring and hook up, the less chances there are for things to mess up.

bupper

Post by bupper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:19 pm

have a look at this http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1834 it works perfectly & no need for an external drive. Here is an ableton thread viewtopic.php?t=81880

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 am

bupper wrote:have a look at this http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1834 it works perfectly & no need for an external drive. Here is an ableton thread viewtopic.php?t=81880
Right then!
I'm seriously intrigued about this one. I'd heard/immediately dismissed the idea of this before, but the Harmony Central link makes for some interesting reading.

Have you tried this yourself? (Or anyone else for that matter!)

Anything against this?

bupper

Post by bupper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 am

yep, I even used to do it on a netbook :grin: